Home Career & Education

Freelance rates questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
bob3636 polycounter lvl 11
Hey Guys :) How's going?
I'm having some serious doubts about the right amount a freelancer should ask when you get a Freelance job.
Actually i have read the wiki, lots of very useful information there!!!
In particular there is this section about rates, but i'm sure i'm interpreting it in the right way

Freelancer Type
US Day RateUS HourlyOverseas Day RateOverseas Hourly
Individual contractor$300/day *$37.50/hr *$250 - 375/day$31.25 - 47/hr
Low-end art studio$350/day$43.75/hr$140 - 180/day$17.50 - 22.50/hr
Average art studio$500/day$62.50/hr$200/day$25/hr
High-end art studio$800/day **$100/hr **$300/day$37.50/hr

What i don't understand is the "Freelancer Type" Section, it refers on the type of client you have?
Or If i work alone, from home i should consider myself an "Individual Contractor"?
Sorry if is it a stupid question, but considering that is a delicate topic i just want to be sure about it :sweat:

For example if i work from Europe i should look at Individual contractor/Overseas Hourly. I'm right?

Thanks a lot for your patience!
B

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of these numbers are estimates. You need to figure out a number that works in your particular situation.

You're an individual contractor. The other freelancer types are also contractors, but they are groups of people instead of a single person.
    "Low-end" "Average" and "High-end" refer to the art quality they provide for their clients.

Overseas is kind of a large section. All it means is not-USA. USA artists are generally more expensive than similar artists elsewhere, because of a generally higher cost of living, but also USA clients are often willing to pay a premium for the cultural match they get from USA contractors.

There are probably big variances in the Europe market, depending on location. Some Eastern Bloc contractors may be offer more competitive rates because cost of living is lower, or language difficulties are a barrier, or because of cultural differences.

The largest difference in rates I've seen for individuals have been about experience and art quality. Those confer higher rates regardless of location.
  • bob3636
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bob3636 polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you, for your kind and clear explanation ^^