Home Technical Talk

Beginner Questions on the right workflow

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SummonedSpirit polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount,

I'm a hobbyist really interested in playing aroung with Maya. I've started plans to make a virtual yacht and pier for a really special friend of mine but I would really want to get it done right in a proper way without misconceptions.

I've been poking my nose into tutorials and decided to do a test on a wooden plank. I just wanted to know if i did it right and understoof what it means to create a 3d model that works and can be rendered out not just in maya but perhaps unreal engine as I plan to do my lightings there

The link below shows 5 screen shots of my maya and photo shop.

http://imgur.com/a/gKzTK

I started by creating the form of the plank and hardening its edges by inserting edge loops. I made sure that everything of the plank would be quads as I heard lighting doesn't work well with none 4 sided polygons.

After which I planar mapped each face of the plank and sew them back together with their corresponding edges so the texture would flow to all faces properly.

I then created a texture map in photoshop and soften the potential areas with seams using a healing brush. I exported it as a tga and created a grey scale as a bump map.

Which resulted to the fully colored plank in the 2nd picture. Apologizes for their mis aligned chronology I'm not sure why it turned out this way.

I really would like to know if I'm on the right track when it comes to modelling and if this piece is functional to be used to construct the Pier I have in mind. Really appreciate the time the community takes to look into this and thanks you for all feed backs!

Also I would like to know, when models are made there is a 1,2,3 option to smooth them. If Say I have a cake and I insert edge loops to give it shape. Must I move the vertices to resemble its form in (3 button's softness) or is 3 indeed the final render and what is expected to be seen in rendering

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    3 is just a preview of when you use 'Smooth' on it. (double your polygons, I think.) 
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    - you can harden edges by using Soften/Harden Edge in the edges marking menu
    - but if you use support loops like this, you might as well soften all edges - you'll get nice soft highlights on them instead
    - when doing textures, you need to leave padding/bleed around your UV borders, so you need to extend the wood texture by 8-16 pixels around the edges. With this you'll prevent the white around it from bleeding in the edges when you zoom out
    - you can simplify the texturing a lot if you create a single, full wood texture, tile-able, and just apply it on all planks, then add variations by scaling the UV's (or rotating them, etc)
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    - you can harden edges by using Soften/Harden Edge in the edges marking menu
    - but if you use support loops like this, you might as well soften all edges - you'll get nice soft highlights on them instead
    - when doing textures, you need to leave padding/bleed around your UV borders, so you need to extend the wood texture by 8-16 pixels around the edges. With this you'll prevent the white around it from bleeding in the edges when you zoom out
    - you can simplify the texturing a lot if you create a single, full wood texture, tile-able, and just apply it on all planks, then add variations by scaling the UV's (or rotating them, etc)
    I see Huffer so that means the 3 button is merely a preview and I need to match what I see to (1 mode) to the desired extent of how soft the wood will be? Understood. Workflow wise however is there any process I have missed out? Hmm Tile-able i'm not sure what it mean. I've looked it up though it seems like repeatable textures. I believe I had tried to cut out these textures and paste it over to the individual faces but it left some pretty ugly lines.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    3 is a preview of smoothing your mesh by subdividing it, if you go to "modify>convert>smooth mesh preview to polygons" then you will be working on an actual subdivided high polygon mesh( which is what 3 has been showing you a preview of ) at this point if you delete history you will loose your lowpoly. So I usually find using 3 useful if Im creating a high poly mesh that will be used for baking to my lowpoly but not for much else.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Workflow and software questions belong in Technical Talk instead of General Discussion. I moved it for you.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged said:
    3 is a preview of smoothing your mesh by subdividing it, if you go to "modify>convert>smooth mesh preview to polygons" then you will be working on an actual subdivided high polygon mesh( which is what 3 has been showing you a preview of ) at this point if you delete history you will loose your lowpoly. So I usually find using 3 useful if Im creating a high poly mesh that will be used for baking to my lowpoly but not for much else.
    I see, so that means when exporting these assets or rendering them for video their default appearance is 1 and not 3. Also if I understand right. Baking is the process of creating normal maps to project the finer details of a high poly mesh on to a low poly one?

Last thing just to check as written in my original post did I understand the workflow of modelling correctly or is there something I might have missed
  • SummonedSpirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick bump anyone can shed some light on my remaining question regarding my modelling workflow accuracy?