Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter texture reloading makes file size too big

demilich
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
demilich polycounter lvl 8
I'm running into an issue where I have a finished fully textured asset in Substance Painter with multiple UV sets all at 4k. The file size of the file is about 2.8gb, but I had to rebake all my base textures like normal,curvature,position,worldspace, etc and reload them in Substance Painter to update the final textures. When I save that the file size goes up to 5.6-6 gb in file size and I've had to do this multiple times with several assets. With Substance 1.7 and 2.4 I get the same results in it saving into a big file size. In Substance 1.7 I just dragged and dropped the new texture over the original texture in the Texture tab to update it then reload it in Texture Set Settings. In Substance 2.4 I just right clicked and reload or relocate in the Textures tab. Then reloaded in the Texture Set Settings. In both times it seems to have properly reloaded the new textures but the file size then becomes too big. It seems like this drag and drop or right click and reload is actually duplicating the texture but not showing that in the Texture tab instead of actually replacing it. Anybody know of a workaround? Ive thought about saving my layers as a smart material and starting from scratch, loading my new textures, and applying the smart materials. Thanks

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you try to use the File > Clean option and save your project again?
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup that worked! File size went down.

It seems that texture reloading is a bit tedious. Especially if you have a model with 4-6 materials and 7 texture maps for each material.
    My steps are I go to File/Import Resources and Import resources to Project. That seems to replace what already exists in the Textures shelf, but then I have to manually select and click the new texture for each material in Texture Set Settings. Is there a way to auto reload all these textures?
    The other method I've done is in the Textures shelf right click each texture and reload, but again that seems tedious because of the multiple materials I have. Is there a way to auto reload assuming the new textures are in the same location as the previous textures.
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I'm having trouble exporting my normal maps. I can clearly see the model has normal maps applied in the viewport. When I export my textures it seems like it leaves the base normal map out and only exports the details added from my layers. This all happened after I replaced all of the textures in the Textures Shelf and and then re-selected them in the Texture Set Settings. I've also removed all of the textures from Texture Set Settings and re-selected all of the textures.
    Any solution to this?

Thanks
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just found the that switching my Substance painter file from v1.7 to v2.4 is causing the normal map not to export properly. I still haven't found a solution to this. In the meantime I'm keeping my file in v1.7.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Please describe in more details your export issue. :)
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically, I reloaded all of my textures that I baked in Substance Designer in a Substance Painter file v1.7. The problem occurs when I save the file in Substance Painter 2.4 and I try to export my textures. All textures look correct except the normal maps. It seems like the exporter is leaving the main normal map plugged in Texture Set Settings out and just exporting the normal details from the layers. I originally thought it was an issue caused by reloading the new textures in the Textures shelf, but its caused by going from v1.7 to v2.4. I know my normal maps are plugged in correctly in the Texture Set Settings and I can see them in the viewport properly.

Thanks