Home General Discussion

ZBrushCore and 3DCoat, good to go for environment art?

CallHimJD
null
Greetings guys,

I'm new to this community and I hope the thread is in the right place, because the theme I have feels like ... yea you know ... like a general one. I'm a 26 years old/young hobby artist mainly focused on environment art and worked on smaller mod projects and some personal things. Usually I do my art in my barely free time beside a other fulltime job. In the last couple of month I decided to get deeper into this, because I realised that art, especially environment art, is my real passion. So I want to switch more and more to the professional software solutions, to sharpen my skills more for the industry and maybe, some day, my dreams become true ... or something like that. :P

Long story short, normally I used a lot of Blender for detail sculpting and so on. The industry standard seems to be ZBrush for this task, but the main version of ZBrush seems slightly overpriced for me, at least for now. A while ago Pixologic released the ZBrushCore version and this version fits a little bit more my budget and looks quite interesting. So, finally the questions:

Any thoughts on ZBrushCore in combination with the task environment art? Is there someone who use this software to get this job done? Is it a good starting point to get familiar with ZBrush? And is, for example, 3DCoat a good choice to replace some tasks/workflows/features they ripped out of ZBrushCore?

Thanks for any help and sorry for some possible spelling fails, english was never my strong point. ;)

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    3D coat has sort of a wonky interface, could never get used to it, but some say they prefer its texturing to substance painter. Try the demo and some tutorials and see if it clicks.

Zbrushcore is a bit dubious as far as value imo, but you still get dynamesh and the basic sculpting tools. That along with substance painter 2 and a modeling package (blender)  would be my pick on a budget. At least with core you supposedly get a discount on the full software.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Have you considered mudbox? The subscription to that is around $10 a month, and I find it comparable with Zbrush (though Zbrush offers more features).
    I briefly tried Zbrushcore, but I found it very limiting and frustrating. This could very well be because I've been with Zbrush for a while now and it will always feel lacking by comparison, so make of that what you will.
  • CallHimJD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CallHimJD null
    Hey thanks for your replys.
    Fuiosg said:
    3D coat has sort of a wonky interface, could never get used to it, but some say they prefer its texturing to substance painter. Try the demo and some tutorials and see if it clicks.
    Yea I tried 3DCoat 4.5 for a while but then I lost sight of it.
    But I heard more and more often in the last time, 3DCoat has the better repo and UV mapping tools compared to ZBrush. This is why I assumed that 3DCoat is maybe a good replace for the missing features of ZBrushCore.

Fuiosg said:
    Zbrushcore is a bit dubious as far as value imo, but you still get dynamesh and the basic sculpting tools. That along with substance painter 2 and a modeling package (blender)  would be my pick on a budget. At least with core you supposedly get a discount on the full software.
    Okay, I keep it in mind. Thanks.

Marshkin said:
    Have you considered mudbox? The subscription to that is around $10 a month, and I find it comparable with Zbrush (though Zbrush offers more features).
    I briefly tried Zbrushcore, but I found it very limiting and frustrating. This could very well be because I've been with Zbrush for a while now and it will always feel lacking by comparison, so make of that what you will.
    Mudbox, no, not as yet ... but sounds really good, I'll give it a try.
    After your replys ZBrushCore sounds like a bad choice, which I already thought.