Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: 3DO Baker gets stuck at 50%

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
I started texturing my model untill I noticed that some parts of the model did not seem to have the textures applied like I would expect them to.
After inspecting the maps, that I checked for baking with 3do, I noticed that the skin parts of my model had the OBS and gradient maps completely flat.

So I tried to reload the input maps and let 3do bake the obs normals, curvature, etc. and hit rerender. No matter what I try it just gets stuck a 50% baking maps. 3do does not display anything in the viewport and when I try to go to another tab, the UI dissapears as well, resulting in a rectangular grey windows I cant do anything with.

Was wondering if an issue like this had happened been reported before, and what I can do to fix this issue.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Could I see an image of this?
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to replicate it just now, but I cant even get the input window up.

I've got a feeling the project somehow got corrupted. When I try with a blank project everything works fine.
    However this gets me worried, as you can image, that whatever I work on can get corrupted at any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml1y2QWgOmo&feature=youtu.be

I'm on Quixel suite 2.2.2
    Photoshop CC 2015.1.1

Operating System
                Windows 10 Home 64-bit
            CPU
                Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz    56 °C
                Haswell 22nm Technology
            RAM
                16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
            Motherboard
                Notebook P770ZM-G (SOCKET 0)
            Graphics
                Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@75Hz)
                Cintiq 13HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
                2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)    51 °C
            Storage
                931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA)    31 °C
                111GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 120GB (SSD)    39 °C
            Optical Drives
                No optical disk drives detected
            Audio
                Realtek High Definition Audio

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Ah, you're on a laptop. That would probably be the issue here. Ensure that you've set your laptop to use your video card at all times (or simply allow 3DO2.exe to utilize it) - otherwise you'll have hangups while baking.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just so I understand correctly, are you saying that ddo/3do is not consistent in what GPU/graphics chip is being used?

Like I said when creating/rerendering any other project it works fine. In fact I started recreating the texture of this particular model in a new project and everything works fine.
    So somewhere something went wrong and I am trying to figure out exactly what it is that is messing up, so I can avoid it in the future.

As for the issue in the video, would that be tied to the GPU? It should simply open the inputs window. I fail to see how the GPU would affect that.

I'll try playing around a bit, try to understand what exactly is causing this.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Where is the issue you're experiencing in the video? Like, what time frame? I didn't see anything unusual but I was admittedly skipping through looking specifically for 3DO causing trouble. :)

3DO only functions correctly with a dedicated GPU. Be sure to set your GPU to be either on all the time or to turn on when 3DO2.exe is running.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @0:37

As for dedicated GPU, I checked my nvidia settings yesterday, following some guides, but the options I am directed to change do not appear in my settings.
    So I have literally no idea how to change it so my GPU is being used always.
    I use Open Hardware Monitor to show what resources my machine is using. When I launch 3DO, OHM shows that it is in fact using my Nvidia GPU.
    That being said, I never had any issues with other apps or games.
    Also it only happens in this particular project, other projects work perfectly fine.

I am not too concerned in saving this project, as I had said before I recreated what I had done in a new project already.
    Just trying to figure out the source of this issue, so I can avoid it in the future. Not looking forward to other possible projects getting corrupted.
    Is it possible to have DDO create some kind of log or something(when it is not crashing)?

---
    Anyway the things I can think of that could have gone wrong:

* Relocated the project folder to a different location, specifically from desktop to my e: drive.

* Looked into the project.xml file for possible mismatched paths and noticed there was 1 path that had an extra '\' in it.
    Specifically it was the path for the gradient map.
    It said '...\ProjectRoot\\bakes\'. I removed the extra \ manually but that did not seem to change anything.

* I noticed that some of the GUID's in the .xml didn't match any of the filenames in the preview folder. Not sure if this is related.

* tried to somehow refrech the ID's by editing the masks, whenever I try to edit any dynamask, DDO just crashes.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Regarding video card setups on laptops: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-force-your-laptop-to-Run-with-Graphics-Processor-vs-the-default-Integrated-Graphics-for-InfraWorks.html

If it's using your card, you should be fine then.

I would recommend zipping this project up and sending a link to download it to jonathan @ quixel . se and sameer @ quixel . se with a link to this thread so I can look at it, along with my lead programmer for SUITE. Sorry about the trouble!
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks!

Just sent you an email with the subject '3DO baker gets stuck at 50%'.