Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Painting Feedback

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
I have been working on various painting things for fun and realized I have no one to get good feedback from and was hoping I could get some thoughts on my posts!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this piece a lot! My first inference was The Joker, because the blue shadow across his face looks a  bit like his smile makeup. If that's intentional, great. If not, you might want to re-examine the hue/saturation there. Under his hat is a different shadow color, maybe match that?
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaktuzlime polycounter lvl 14
    You need to show more if you want really accurate feedback, one piece like this is not really enough to spot all your flaws and weaknesses. However there are some obvious points to highlight! 

- The nose is flat and potato-like, and anatomically incorrect. The same goes for the ear, it looks sloppy. Learn the major planes of those parts. Also the dark value of the lips makes it look like he's covered in lipstick. 
    - It looks like the eye doesn't get hit by light, which makes it stand out as an inconsistency.  
    - Too many filters/too much post processing. Feels like you're hiding behind fancy lighting/bloom to make up for a limited understanding of facial construction. 
    - Your lighting setup hides a lot of the subject matter, and the sfumato makes the forms hard to read. That might be your intention, but be aware of it :) 
    - The exposure is out of whack! What's in shadow is too dark, and what's in light is too bright. Control your values, and add contrast where you want the focus to be. Control your value-range. 
    - This looks based on a photo which you might have had side by side, because there are incongruities between the accuracy of some proportions and the lack of understanding of underlying 3Dimensional structure. I could be wrong. I'd recommend learning how to construct the face from imagination using resources like Stan Prokopenko's youtube tutorials and Glenn Vilppu's Drawing Manual. In addition, if you're drawing from a photo, one should credit the source material. https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/videos 
    - Avoid color until you understand the fundamentals of drawing, and eventually light/value. 
    - No edge-control. Your use of edge-hardness seems random. Know when to soften edges and when to make them hard. Here's a start on the subject: http://muddycolors.blogspot.ca/2015/04/10-things-about-edges.html 
    - The colors are unatural and washed out, it feels like a B&W painting with some washes over it. 

Keep on practicing, and stay diligent! You've got potential :) 
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Hey thanks so much for all the feedback so far! I wasn't necessarily going for a joker vibe but I wanted to create something eerie and play with color/mood. The plan was to do an entire set and dub it "neo-Noir" kind of taking noir tropes and adding unique colors and distorted design choices.

I will return to that piece in a bit and try and integrate some of your guys feedback. I definitely need to sharpen some edges and try to tone down on post processing. I have an addiction :s

In the mean time I have been working on this piece. Got it all laid in how I would like it. I want to spend maybe a day cleaning it up and focusing brush economy; Making it real buttery. I would appreciate some feedback before taking it to the finish line. Thanks everyone!