Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] [3ds Max] Lowpoly Birch Tree - Abstract or Detailed?

null
Offline / Send Message
dapeachy null
Hello everyone!
I'm currently working on a project that is supposed to be an artistic lowpoly environment, with emphasis on atmosphere and mood. Inspirations have been the games Shelter and NIVA for a sort of pastel light look, however I am having continued trouble finding a definite vision for it :/ I like the abstraction in Shelter, but I don't want it to BE Shelter, and even though it's supposed to be painted, I don't want it to look like a Blizzard game either. And I very much love normal maps and the lighting capabilities in UE4.

For now I decided to go with a lowpoly, geometrical mesh, but use a painted texture. (Leaves need a bit of work still, ignore for now)
While I do like the effect of the geometry + texture + normals, I've gotten critique about the level of detail on the bark. That texture has been painted with Painter 2016, using watercolor brushes. I was hoping to give it a watercolor feel, but now I've started doubting if that effect comes across, and if I should instead go for a more obvious abstract texture like here or here, which would in turn look extremely geometrical and less artistic.

Here's a sketch for my environment, showing the atmosphere I'd like to go for a little.

Do you guys have suggestions on how I could proceed, or maybe some examples of "artistic lowpoly" art styles that are neither too abstract nor too detailed?

EDIT: Some better pictures!

Turnaround in Max

No Texture. With leaves, it's currently at 113 polys and 187 verts.

The texture in question

Replies

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 14
    I really like the look you're going for. I think you hit the nail on the head with the leaf material. The bark does look a little too real, I think there's maybe too much detail in the normal map. I also think you might benefit from smooth shading on the trunk of the tree maybe? the sharp edges kind of gets rid of that painterly look. But I guess you're going for something more geometric? 

I like thinks like this, although maybe that's not what you're going for. 
  • dapeachy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dapeachy null
    Thank you for the feedback! Funny, I felt like the leaves could use more details...
    I tried turning off the normal map and it's actually not much of a difference. Guess that means the diffuse is too detailed.

Tried to smooth the trunk, and turn off normals:
    left smooth + normals, right smooth - normals.
    Sadly the seams are quite a bit more visible without the hard edges, but without the normal it looks better already. Might have to fix the normal map in Substance if I go this route...
    Things get interesting if we take out the texture and ONLY apply the normal map:

Those apples look great actually!! It's not quite watercolor, but I like those rough brush strokes. I can try imitating that a little in my next iteration.

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, looks better already! I think you're right, it was the details in the diffuse. Just needs to have broader brush strokes I think.