Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Volumetric Cloud System

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LarsLaukens polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, as my graduation work for college I'll be trying my hand at some volumetric clouds in unreal.
I'll be posting my new progress here, as well as what I've got so far, feel free to comment or ask whatever.

My initial test was to just place some particle systems in a cloud shape. This wasn't bad but it didn't have a lot of mass or shape. Felt kinda like steam.

Next, I tried to make my particles spawn from the mesh so I'd have some more control over the cloud shape, but they only spawned from the shell. Making the clouds hollow. Also still no self-shadowing.

Made a new material based on 3d noise with a world aligned gradient for fake shadows, added some shells to my cloud spawn mesh and changed my particle settings a bit. The clouds are generated based on some layered noises and have actual volume in 3d space. The particles act as a kind of 'canvas' to view the noise.

Here's where I'm at right now.
I layered some extra noise into my diffuse and made some blueprints to spawn and move the clouds. Will be adding different types of clouds and maybe some material trickery to fake lighting during a day/night cycle.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them :D

Replies