Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - Nov. & Dec. 2016 (45)

Replies

• Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @DkuCook
    That is a really good idea dude, hope you dont mind me using it too?

Here is a progress shot of my attempt. I didnt manage to finish the last challenge as I got a freelance contract midway through it and that took priority, now that's out of the way I am going to focus my attention on this piece. crits appreciated. I tried my best to match the ref but it seems that its painted in a 2 point perspective with a couple of areas having some distortions. 

• nutellis
    Offline / Send Message
    nutellis null
    Hello Everyone , new to polycount, pleasure to meet you all. Although i've been lurking this place for some time now, i just decided to register and become active . So i have been practicing modeling 3-4 months now and i feel a bit comfortable to join you in this challenge. This is my day one :

All comments accepted  :) .
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    @nutellis Welcome!:) And good day one. Keep it flowing!
  • William3DArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    William3DArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Current Working. I was hoping to get that door done but wow! harder than I thought. Sticking only to the gun for now. Here is my current workings so far. Working on the High Poly. I embedded the steel plate on top of the butt in the gun like in the pic. Not sure if I should flatten or curve because the one in the concept is curved on the front view and a flat and curve in the front. Not sure. Also the bolts are Nike I think or it could be a flat head bolt not sure. I think a Nike screwdriver would be dope. Maybe a future tool. Check images below.  

I Need help with speed guys. I want this to be a good solid PBR model and wondering if I should skip the small bolt details and bring into Substance Painter and use the decals and make my own, or to actually High Poly Model them like I am and bring it in?

I also noticed and did an extreme closeup on the rivet. It looks like a Nike to me.

Anyone know what Copyright laws are on 3D Modeling someones prop is? Can I post this concept as a comparison on my portfolio. Thanks,

William
  • William3DArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    @kyrzon

That is so cool. I was wondering what that pointy thing on the front is. Its the igniter for the flamethrower. I thought it was a line of sight. Man im a derf I did not realize it was a flamethrower this whole time. I really like what Dylan did with the tube showing the fogginess of the tube and the burnt rainbow on metal mark at the end. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. 
    kyrzon said:
    hi there!!

first of all let me share some things I found about the weapon.
    - the big grey screw on the side of the weapon in fact is not a screw, it's a switch. It will make the weapon feel more real as a 5cm wide screw is kind of funny.
    - Another artist already made this concept and has the model in a marmoset viewer, maybe it's useful for someone to rotate it around. Dylan Mellott's Exteel Flamethrower 

• TheOubliette
    Offline / Send Message
    TheOubliette polycounter lvl 3
    @Jesse Walsh- Hey, thanks for the info. I'll have to experiment.

Here's some progress, having moved on to zBrushing some organics for normal baking. As I have a turbulent relationship with zBrush, I spend time fighting with it before discovering my PC wasn't utilizing about half of my ram, then spent 4 hours figuring out where the problem lay. Quite a non-productive night, but at least I know why zBrush was crashing and lagging. Tomorrow I should be able to finish the other organics and normal bakes and with some luck, I'll have time for the diffuse work.

• kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    @william21984
    I'll try to answer some of your questions about the weapon.
    - I've made the steel plate of the grip with less curve than the grip itself, just make it as flat as possible without breaking the overall shape.
    - The bolts are regular flat head bolts, the shape you see is the way the artist adds sharpness to the top, sometimes it's better not to zoom too much on the image, if you see it from far away you'll see a cylinder shape with some perspective on it. Another tip, if the image is pixelated, is to force your eyes to see it blurry by closing them as much as possible (or use a gaussian blur on photoshop), your brain will do the rest by filling missing parts and recognising shapes (our brain is much more powerful than we are aware of)
    - about the small bolts and details, I'll make them directly on the painter, that way is faster and easier. If you want to model them and bake everything down you can always add some floating geometry, that way you won't mess with the topology and the bake will be cleaner.
    - the copyright part is kind of tricky, we are dealing with international laws here. Maybe someone else can help you better but as far as I know if you don't make profit with it there is no problem, if you want to sell the model you'll need to check the license and get an agreement with them.
    Most people don't even think about that but I like to be respectful with other people art. What I normally do is to contact the artist, tell him where I'll publish it and give him the credit for the concept with a link to their portfolio, etc. (in this case I think I won't be able to do it)
    I hope it helps

If i'm wrong about something just correct me, I'm always willing to learn.

About my progress, I've made the needed changes after the last feedback and finished the HP details, I'll do the rest on painter. 

I'm not happy at all about the scope, tomorrow I'll change it a bit and start with the LP.
  • William3DArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Kyrzon,
    I did try to contact NCSoft and kory hubbell but no response. That is okay those dudes are hella busy probably. I don't expect it as a need to happen basis. I am probably asking a redundant question they get all the time. If you Model and bring into 3D I can only imagine it is your own IP. Sharing the concept should be fine I imagine as long as I let them know I am not the concept artist. Whomever did this concept, did a whole series of sci-fi weapons I would love to model. I got to go back to the traditional drawing skills first and make my own for my next one. Seeing these great concept artist inspire me.

The swooshes show up on all screws, look at the bottom gun image too. Or "L" 's. I learned that blur trick a while back. I don't know. Now that im looking at it, it does look like a flat head. He probably curved it  by throwing in that darkness around the bolt to give it dimension. I can change it. Up to you guys. This is a sci-fi gun so I can imagine anything goes. If we created a Torx screw.( The ones you see that look like a star.) There could be an evolution of different kinds of screws in the future.  But I can change it let me know. Whatever you guys prefer.

Thanks for the help with Substance Painter and how I should transfer the small details. This will help me extremely although I am getting faster with my original process I still need to keep rockin. 

Your gun is looking great. There does need to be more beveling like the previous peeps are saying but I am not sure if it has to be exact to the concept or if it can be different. It is still hella close. So I might keep it. I would say that the little squares on the safety's are circular. But I dont think you have to change it. The idea is, it looks close to the concept.

Keep going buddy. Thanks for the awesome feedback. Lets Rock. I want to see a lot of awesome guns by the time this is contest is over.
  • TheOubliette
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I the only one that doesn't work with Substance Painter here?
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Blockin complete, Going to move forward to detailing some areas in ZBrush. Windows/Roofs will be detailed after baking since I have to use a modular piece and bend it around the form, no point in modelling that in at this point when I need to retopo it afterwards. Happy with the overall silhouette, looks a bit stumpier than the reference however the door was used as a visual landmark,  but I'll tweak any likeness issues later. 

• William3DArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheOubliette
    There are a lot of great ways of doing PBR but Painter and Designer is exceptional and outstanding. Well worth it and cheap monthly payments. https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy/download
  • b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5

does anyone know or have any theories about what purpose this part of the gun serves?
  • JulioVII
    Offline / Send Message
    JulioVII polycounter lvl 3
    Hi everyone, this is my first challange over here on Polycount, I'm still working on the blocking, any suggests are welcome.

• KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    @b0lly I am not fully sure, but I could be a laser target device.
  • PolyDjent
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyDjent polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys!
    Not sure if I'll have enough time to make something more or less finished, but I couldn't just pass by such an awesome Halo concept. Here's my rough blockout with some simple camera projection. Planning to spend a lot more time on making this concept work in 3d which seems to be quite a challenge. Cheers! 

• Polygons-Pusher
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygons-Pusher polycounter lvl 11
    Jesse Walsh  awesome job on the Painterly Prop can't wait to see your take on the environment.
    kyrzon Very nice high poly =) 

Maydream3d  you just killed it, what a simple and elegant way to get a blockout with the good proportions...

Keep up the good work everyone! I'm pumped up every time I go on this thread =D

• chrisevansart
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisevansart polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great @Maydream3d
    Keep it up!
  • derugin.s
    Offline / Send Message
    derugin.s polycounter lvl 7
    Hi all, very interesting challenge. Very cool results of participants. In the next  month I necessary will be participate.
  • homart
    Offline / Send Message
    homart polycounter lvl 8
    Here is my wip asset ! Nearly finished! Rendered with ue4. No sculpting everything done in photoshop and maya (and ue4 ofc) I went for something more realistic !Render
  • VeryCrunchyTaco
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    @Jesse Walsh Dude, that looks so rad!  I love it :D 
    @xhi Adding the extra environment around the cart looks like a lot of extra work, but I'd love to see where you take it.  I believe in you!
    @kyrzon Loving your high poly so far, and looking forward to seeing where it goes.  

Also, here's a crappy blockout.  I'll be handpainting everything, hopefully soon!  (Am a little unsure of what to do with the terrain, but guess I'll figure that out.  May do it in Unity or something, dunno.  Am open to suggestions.)

• Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    I was  looking for reference and found 2 Artists who had already made the castle in a lowpoly hand painted style so figured I would try to make the scene in a different style, I am aiming for something like Heroes o/t Storm, Here is the main reference:

I made a bunch of sculpts prior to finding this and realised that I tried to make it too modular, I wont be able to bake a good AO map and I am pretty sure that the asset above is uniquely textured since it has curved stones etc, stuff like that doesn't look it it has been duplicated  - also the surface details on mine are too intense and the silhouette/edge information is getting lost in with the the surface form, So I'm probably gonna have to rework a lot of it

• kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    I've an update on the flamethrower.
    This is my first lowpoly model of the weapon, the final tricount is around 38k with all the backfaces of the pieces and the details, I'll cut the tris of unseen areas later. 
    I'll bake and texture this LP first but i'm planning on moving to the Alien Isolation and Star Citizen approach (averaged vertex without normal bakes and with shared textures), so a second LP will be needed with more detail and chamfered edges. With this new approach I guess it'll go up to 50k tris but with less normal and SG computation.
    I think @b0lly  was doing same workflow. 

Anyway, it's time UV and bake!
    I'll show you the result once is done :wink:
    edit: 36.5k after cleaning unseen parts...
  • MaxHoek
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    @kyrzon 38k? You are sure? Isnt it way to much for realtime fps? I recommend some reseach for your triscount. Maybe you can reduce a bit. Just from this picture I can see way too much polys on your small pipes down there. 
  • kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    @MaxHoek I've already done the research, don't worry about it. I've seen some games using 25-30k on medium weapons and up to 100k on big ones, we can always make use of LODs to lower the overall polycount.
    I'm making it a hero weapon so I'd like to be able to zoom it until it fills the screen, I've also modeled the inside mechanism to be able to make a loading animation, that's roughtly 10k ^^ (I can always have another mesh for non-loading weapon and cut that part off)
    About the pipes, I've made them that way to be able to bend it (loading animation), I'm not sure if I will do it with bones or cloth but I need polys to deform it anyway. Maybe I've put too much polys even with that on mind, I need to think more about how to do the pipes but it's easy to change it later.
    also the screws and small details have a tons of tris, I think I'll lower them a bit.

In fact, in today's live star citizen's reverse the verse I've asked them about tris count and they said that the multitool (small uzi-size weapon) uses 32k. I'm happy that they answered me, perfect timing :D
    Interesting video btw, a weapon artist talking about their workflow
    you can see the youtube video here , tris question on 23:50

Thanks for the critics, it always makes me see it from another perspective.

• PolyDjent
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyDjent polycounter lvl 5
    kyrzon said:
    @MaxHoek I've already done the research, don't worry about it. I've seen some games using 25-30k on medium weapons and up to 100k on big ones, we can always make use of LODs to lower the overall polycount.
    I'm making it a hero weapon so I'd like to be able to zoom it until it fills the screen, I've also modeled the inside mechanism to be able to make a loading animation, that's roughtly 10k ^^ (I can always have another mesh for non-loading weapon and cut that part off)
    About the pipes, I've made them that way to be able to bend it (loading animation), I'm not sure if I will do it with bones or cloth but I need polys to deform it anyway. Maybe I've put too much polys even with that on mind, I need to think more about how to do the pipes but it's easy to change it later.
    also the screws and small details have a tons of tris, I think I'll lower them a bit.

In fact, in today's live star citizen's reverse the verse I've asked them about tris count and they said that the multitool (small uzi-size weapon) uses 32k. I'm happy that they answered me, perfect timing :D
    Interesting video btw, a weapon artist talking about their workflow
    you can see the youtube video here , tris question on 23:50

Thanks for the critics, it always makes me see it from another perspective.

Star citizen is well known to have some serious performance issues, which, I guess, is ok since it's not gonna be officialy released in the nearest future, but, netherless, it is still a bad example to follow. And finally, it's not exactly the polycount you should worry about, but the actual necessity of those polygons you spend in places that do not benefit the model at all. And that is one of the things that shows your expertise in game modeling. Apart from that, it looks good! keep it up.
  • Gahsergio
    Offline / Send Message
    Gahsergio polycounter lvl 2
    Hello Guys!
    I am trying this month challenge, I am starting with 3ds Max (I started with Maya years ago) in my new job and need to practice as much as posible and also need to fill my portfolio as much as posible! This way I will kill two birds with one stone.

So I did choose the hand painted cart, here a image of my progress so far:
    Next Step making UV's and make the high poly in Zbrush of each asset

• b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    I think im pretty much done with the modelling for now. I've started blocking out what parts are gonna have what textures. I'm thinking two different metal mats for the big parts (divided as light blue and darker blue) a yellow steel for the yellow details, some sort of plastic for the tube, a texture for the lenses and lamps on top of the gun, and a texture for bolts and screws. Then I'm gonna have all the texts and stickers as decals. 

• b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    I've spent some time contemplating what workflow I'm going with for the texturing. Usually I do the classic one, where all materials fit on one map and the mats are usually made in Quixel. All beveled edges are baked down onto a normal map and added to the low poly model.
    But with the Exsteel weapon I'm gonna let the polycount be higher (currently around 41k tris). As for the texture maps, I'm thinking about making tileable and reusable textures. In this case, 2 different blue metal textures, 1 bare metal texture (for bolts and screws) a rubber/plastic texture for the tubes, a yellow metal texture for details, and a decal texture for text and such. Probably a normal map decal texture for holes and stuff too. All this to be able to theoretically reuse the metal textures for other guns and maybe even environment. Comment/feedback on that idea?
  • kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2

Thanks @PolyDjent and @MaxHoek , your input made me notice some places I didn't optimize, final tricount 27k.

@b0lly : nice job! some parts are nice and smooth, but I see some edges extremely hard on the grip and on few other parts, be careful as you won't be able to soften them with the textures. With that workflow you can add most of the details with decals, but only those that don't affect the silhouette.
    About the workflow I find it really useful in some cases, but it has some drawbacks. For example you'll be able to reuse all the textures but you will need ID maps and do much more work on the engine to mix all the textures, there is a lot involved and depends on the tech you're using in the engine.

For me it's time to make some textures, UVs are done and everything is ready to bake.

• OranButtons
    Offline / Send Message
    OranButtons polycounter lvl 5
    I think I'm about ready to unwrap and bring it into substance. I've never modeled a gun so this has been a learning experience for me.

@bolly, I like some of your design choices to not follow the concept 100%. Such as the hose connection under the tank and some of your angles. I think the underside of the handle could use a bit more chamfer because right now it looks a little uncomfortable to hold.

@kryso, dude. That looks awesome. I noticed that all of your screws are at the same angle. Do you plan to change that at all? It just feels too perfect. I'm just curious on your decision for that. Also nice catch on the fillips head screws.

• kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    @OranButtons thanks, I've already rotated all the screws, just wanted to do it at the end of the modeling part to avoid errors with the HP.
    Right now i'm back on the mesh to solve some baking artifacts
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    Welp! Didn't see this competition, guess I still have time to start xD 
  • harry1511
    Offline / Send Message
    harry1511 polycounter lvl 5
     First time to do the monthly challenge, and trying to get myself into the habit. My block-in of the hand painted environment.

• TheOubliette
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheOubliette
    There are a lot of great ways of doing PBR but Painter and Designer is exceptional and outstanding. Well worth it and cheap monthly payments. https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy/download
    Thanks William, and as it happens, after a break for the holiday, I've turned my sights to Quixel Suite. I picked it up on Cyber Monday discount and chose it because of its Photoshop integration will slipstream me into mastery because I'm already deeply familiar with it. I spent yesterday cramming on it's inner working and tonight I'm going to give it a spin. I know Substance is the buzzword of the day but it's a real bear to start with and designer is insanely complex and reminds me of programming with it's spiderweb designer, like Unreal. (I loathe node-based designing, as it makes sense to left-brained people best).

BTW, apparently Quixel doesn't know when Monday ends so, Quixel Suite is still on sale... $80 for the suite http://quixel.se/suite/ if anyone else was unaware.

• TheOubliette
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheOubliette
    Thanks William, and as it happens, after a break for the holiday, I've turned my sights to Quixel Suite. I picked it up on Cyber Monday discount and chose it because of its Photoshop integration will slipstream me into mastery because I'm already deeply familiar with it. I spent yesterday cramming on it's inner working and tonight I'm going to give it a spin. I know Substance is the buzzword of the day but it's a real bear to start with and designer is insanely complex and reminds me of programming with it's spiderweb designer, like Unreal. (I loathe node-based designing, as it makes sense to left-brained people best).

BTW, apparently Quixel doesn't know when Monday ends so, Quixel Suite is still on sale... $80 for the suite http://quixel.se/suite/ if anyone else was unaware.

• TheOubliette
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheOubliette

• TheOubliette
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheOubliette

• William3DArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    What!!! Still on sale what a great buy. Will do @Oubliette
  • Ru_su
    Offline / Send Message
    Ru_su null
    Hi, everyone. It's my first challenge here. And my first attempt to create so big and complex object with Blender.
    I think, there is some problem with proportions.
  • MrRik
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place but 3 weeks ago I needed to make the paintery environment for an art test. I did this in around 6 days with a total of ~22hours. Please keep in mind this scene was made for a mobile game with a fixed camera. I also made a small progress thread which you can find here: https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/small-tower-scene/11408/12

If this isnt the right place give me a heads up and I'll delete my post.
     model
  • b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    I'm preparing for texturing, so I made an AO map and an ID map. I think it looks adorable with the ID-map :')
  • Lukitscherie
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Hi everyone! I need to practice hand painting so I'm going to try making the cart concept. I wish there was an easier one to start but oh well :p
    This is my progress at day 2:

The wooden poles are driving me insane and I'm cheating on some elements, I'm not sure how it's going to turn out but I'll try to finish it by the end of December and have the texture as close as possible to the concept.
    I feel super dumb though because I just can't make the metal corners of the floor apple box. I'll see about that later.

Please tell me if something looks horribly wrong ;) And good luck to everyone also starting this month.

• APiotrW
    Offline / Send Message
    APiotrW polycounter lvl 10
    @Lukitscherie
    Good start! I think the wheels are a bit too wide and the round objects could use some more polys (if these are only blockout meshes then the polycount is not relevant of course). If you want to recreate the concept 1:1 then the other proportions are ok, but as others pointed out the concept itself looks like it has some perspective issues. The top part isn´t exactly in the middle and this seems kind of off.
  • kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    @Lukitscherie
    nice blockout, the only thing I can tell you is to even the polygons on round objects, the wheel and the bowls are rounded nicely but the top spheres are very lowpoly. Also maybe try to center the top (even if in the concept is different)

I've an update on the weapon. Baking is done and i'm on the half way of the texturing process.
    Texture ToDo:
    - tank stripes + decals
    - tweak some wearing values
    - change the yellow parts and the black screws
    - put some dirt around
    - add wear on the normal details.

I'm not happy with the normal details below the cannon, it seems like "^^"  :D
    anyway here it goes...
    LP+normal+AO

Texture (WIP)

If you see something odd just tell me
  • b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
     Looking really promising Kyrzon!

I'm texturing in DDO as we speak. Here's what I got so far (ive basically only assigned materials):

• b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    For the first time I'm texturing in DDO without having baked bevels in my normal map. This seems to make it hard for DDO to make the kind of "paint edge wear"-effect I would like... I thought that DDO calculates edges and such from the mesh but apparently not? Anyone know how it works? It would be way to time consuming to do it by hand IMO...
  • Lukitscherie
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    @APiotrW @kyrzon
    Thanks for your input! For the rounded objects I wanted a low poly feel though. Is it that distracting/looks too much unfinished?
    I don't really have a final polycount in mind, I just wanted to try having as less polys as possible for a nice result.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    PolyDjent said:
    Hey guys!
    Not sure if I'll have enough time to make something more or less finished, but I couldn't just pass by such an awesome Halo concept. Here's my rough blockout with some simple camera projection. Planning to spend a lot more time on making this concept work in 3d which seems to be quite a challenge. Cheers! 

really nice use of camera projection, I've tried it myself in modo but couldn't get the work plane to match.  I don't know how it's done in maya, mind sharing a bit how you've got it to match so well?  looking forward to your updates :]
  • kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    @Lukitscherie
    I'm no expert in lowpoly, maybe someone else can help you better with that but I think that the main problem is the difference between some rounded objects, but it's hard to tell without seeing the wireframe.
    What I mean is that bigger objects need more polys than smaller objects, the apple should have less polys than the top spheres and the vessels more than the bowls, if everything is balanced it will feel more consistent throught the scene. I would try to change some props and see how it looks.
    I hope this helps :D

@b0lly
    nice work!
    I can't help you with Quixel, I just tried it once and moved to substance.
    I can, instead, give you a tip about the workflow you are using. It feels to me that you are using regular texturing workflow, modifying the prop's normal map and mixing materials into 1 map.
     Remember that you don't need to end with normal/basecolor/roughtness/metal texture, in fact you shouldn't have that kind of maps for the prop at the end. Instead you need to have tileable materials textures (with all it's maps) and ID masks to blend them in engine.
    The final textures should be something like:
    metal1maps, metal2maps, yellowDetailsmaps, (etc) [all materials needed]
    maskMetal2, maskYellowDetails, (etc),  [1st material doesn't need mask as it's the background mat]
    AO, Height (if needed) [no normal, roughtness, basecolor, metallic prop maps]
    In substance painter there is a shader that allows this workflow and exports each material and masks separate, I'm not sure about DDO
    If you are already doing it this way forget my comment ^^

Cheers

• b0lly
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    @kyrzon
    thank you for the comment! I was considering that type of workflow before committing to the one I'm doing now, mostly because I got a "i don't know what I'm doing"-vibe that left me confused and frustrated. Is there any chance that you can elaborate on that workflow? I kinda get what you mean but still not. I'm guessing its a way of making the most of texture memory etc and having a faster workflow?