Home Technical Talk

3ds/ collapse 2 Edit Poly Modifiers at the top of the stack without collapse everything behind?

fedemas1969
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
fedemas1969 polycounter lvl 5
hello i have this doubt in 3dsmax:
For example:
create a box
Add bend modifier
Add Edit Poly Modifier A 
Remove Polygon 1
Add Edit Poly Modifier B
Remove Polygon 2

my question is how to collapse edit poly A and B in edit poly C, so the result of the stack is:

box
bend Modifier
edit poly Modifier C

A lot of times i use consecutive Edit Poly Modifiers at the top of the stack to have steps to go back in a determinate task (just like sort of undo, just for that moment) , but i would like to collapse these 2 or 3 etipolys at the top when i'm sure it works and i'm will move forward.
i know how works collapse, collapse to, etc. 

Thanks 

Replies

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I'm afraid that there's no way to collapse 2 modifiers on the stack without affecting the base object. If you really need to do that though, what you can do is select all faces on EPoly Mod B > detach all (let's called it Obj_001) > delete EPoly Mod A & B > add EPoly Mod C > delete all faces > attach Obj_001 into that EPoly Mod C. It's kinda hacky way to do things, but I guess it's work for your problem.
  • Eric Chadwick
    The trouble with working this way, is that Edit Poly is always dependent on the vertex count coming up into it from below. If you take the model in your first example, and change the Box segments, the Edit Poly modifiers will start to flip out.

It's better to just plain commit to your changes. Collapse often.
  • fedemas1969
    Offline / Send Message
    fedemas1969 polycounter lvl 5
    i understand. I asked, because lot of times there is something i'm missing and is right there. Thanks.