Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art Test C&C

Swarmy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Swarmy polycounter lvl 5
 Hey guys, I've been stalking on Polycount for some time now and I finally decided to create a post and ask for your expert opinion. I recently applied for an AAA studio and after they saw my portfolio they asked me to do an art test for them. I can't share the concept they sent me, but this is what I submitted:

They declined my application in a very polite manner and sent me some really great feedback.
- I was told that the proportions of the building weren't perfect.
- That I should avoid flat surfaces in places where the player can get up close (only normal maps don't cut it), especially since the church is really old.
-I was told that some of the materials didn't synergize with each other (that the wood had nice amounts of wear and tear, but the bricks look bright and new).
-They pointed out that they liked the breakage in the silhouette of the roof, but that I should further it even more.
After I got the feedback I set myself to rework the problems and I came up with this:

With that being said I wanted to ask few things.
 1.Do you think I've managed to fix the problems (I know that it's hard to tell without the concept, but it has NDA to it)
 2.How would you go on about the environment in which the church is situated, in the concept there's only the church. Should I just add a random environment and blur it a bit, like I did in the screenshots (even though roughing the environment like this is not all that aesthetically pleasing). 3. Should I send it to them after they've declined the application, to show them I can take feedback, or would it annoy them?

Thanks in advance :))

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    It wouldn't hurt to send the revision. Just don't keep sending after that. If you don't hear back, assume they've passed on you. Move on to the next potential employer.

I think your changes look good! Two of the main things that are hurting this piece:

1) Lighting is very contrasty, you have black blacks which is unrealistic. It needs some ambient skylighting.

2) The grass/ground/mountains are not looking as good as the church, they really pull it down. Best option in this case is to present the model on a flat gray background. For example like these https://www.google.com/search?q=game+props&tbm=isch This way you can focus all your time and energy on the one piece. And your viewers are not distracted by anything else.
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I think the roofing sheets on the shed are draging it down, the material is very unclear and they just look very off. Also, this might be the concepts fault, but the stairs are entirely made of bricks which look very strange to me, I know it's done at times but I think then they'd need another pattern like the one in this pic, not just a tiled texture. 

• Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    The changes you have made are looking already much better, good job!
    Personally I would leave out the environment - everything you include in your images will be judged and if you do not have the time to make an amazing environment along with the concept it will only weaken the overall impression.

As already said I think lighting is currently the weakest point - the materials look completly different in every render. I would go for a more neutral lighting than in the first image which seems to have a blueish color - also make sure to not loose details you want to show in shadows and show the materials in the best way possible.

I do not know about your poly budget, but there are a few lowpoly edges I would try to get rid of by adding bevels/baking edges for unique parts, especially the coffin and these bigger roof plates.
  • Swarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarmy polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you all for the great feedback, I've added some more detail to the shed roofing, played around with the lighting and removed all of the environment with photoshop. This is what I have now :smile:
    I tried getting the final render in keyshot, but my normal maps don't seem to work there, so I just took high ress screenshots straight from Unreal. I really need to learn how to present my work so if you have any tips I would be greatly thankful. 
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Lighting already looks better.
    Currently I feel like there is too much packed into one image - do you have to combine it all into one picture or can you deliver multiple images? I think it would be much better to have one shot with the overall model (maybe from front/back angle like you did) and another one with wireframe and maybe also a little texture breakdown. Also the writing feels a bit out of place - maybe place them in a way to make the overall image appear a bit more balanced?

Personally I would also remove the grass and probably the tree as well, I feel they are not on the same level as the church and only distract from the model itself..

• Swarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarmy polycounter lvl 5
    Cheers for the feedback guys, it helped a ton.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Good progress, put a ground under that and a background sky even the default one would look better than all that aliasing youve got making your edges look nasty. You dont need a full background environment but just something neat would be good, even something simple like this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fb/83/c3/fb83c3770c4df2b4f19a3e99d81a5b3a.jpg  The dirt over most of it makes it look a bit too messy, you could control this via a mask using verts or something and have areas with less dirt in the centre of each wall for example. Depends how youve done your uv mapping I guess. The roof tiles have a bit too much noise variation, makes it hard to see the edges of the tiles at all.