Home Adobe Substance

Baking through matching mesh ID whilst using mirrored UVs

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Gallamanji polycounter lvl 7
Firstly, apologies for not posting this in the Substance forum, but it is down at the moment.

I have a prop I want to bake a normal map for. I have named all the parts of the low poly with the naming convention "_low" suffix at the end, and will be naming the equivalent parts of the high poly with "_high" suffix. I am planning on baking the normal map by using the Match Mesh ID method to identify each part. However, some parts of my low poly have mirrored UVs, and I was wondering, when I come to bake, will this cause problems?

Because I can imagine the low poly parts that are mirrored will get 2 projections from each side of the high poly which will conflict with one another. Is there a work around for this? All I can think of is mirroring the UVs after the bake, but that might give me seams. Apologies if I haven't explained myself well, its quite hard to explain. 

Many thanks for any help.

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Firstly, apologies for not posting this in the Substance forum, but it is down at the moment.
    Greentooth will find and triangulate you!

You need to offset your mirrored uvs into the next uv tile. Otherwise substance tries to also bake from them and this causes the problems that you encountered.
  • Gallamanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallamanji polycounter lvl 7
    Haha, thank you.
     I did actually offset my mirrored UVs to the next tile, I haven't baked yet so I haven't encountered any problems. I did do a test though and the normal map came out kinda blurry and distorted. 
    I just thought that if I have a part, with mirrored UVs, offset, and the mirrored geometry is welded together and named "part_low". Then the equivalent high poly "part_high" will project onto both sides of "part_low" and the UV's will get 2 conflicting projections on them? But offsetting the UVs should prevent this?