Home Royalties or Post-Launch Compensation Work

Legend of Zelda-inspired openworld unnamed project - (needs 3d modeler & design partner)

vertex
Offline / Send Message
astraldata vertex
Hi there! Pixel-artist/animator/programmer-turned-zbrush-user here looking for an artist partner to design fun new game ideas with me and to work alongside to make art for them.

About me:

As someone with almost 17 years of holistic experience with the games industry, having intermediate skills or knowledge across all areas of the business, art and programming sides of making games, including online/networked games, I'm looking for a long-term partnership with an artist (of at least comparable art skill) to work with me across multiple projects on 3D and concept art.

If you'd like to see some of my older 2D work, feel free to check my portfolio in my username/icon. Though I'm an established pixel-artist/animator who has previously mentored people in art and pixel-art over at pixelation.org over the years and have done art commercially as well, I've also been vigorously learning 3D in all game-relevant areas, especially modeling/animation because 3D is something that has now progressed to the point where I feel it rivals 2D in its ability to express artistic notions almost as freely and efficiently, while also having the added advantage of much more depth and modularity than is possible in 2D.

About this partnership:

The overall idea is to get us both to a point professionally where we've either started a solid and lucrative game-making business, or at least have gained at least 3 years of art-relevant experience (required by most studios) as artists in the commercial games market by shipping a number of high-quality marketable titles using only a relatively small number of fundamentally-unique resources (used creatively), that will allow us to make games more quickly while also adding to our individual bodies of working-knowledge and experience of creating game-assets that should get us jobs on any title coming to market at an already-established AAA company. This is only an exit-strategy, but I figure it'd be easier to get the other on-board with the company-in-question if one of us is already there and can vouch for the skills and proven-abilities of the other. Thus the professional working-relationship.

About our first game:

If you've ever played the original Legend of Zelda on the NES and just LOVED the idea of exploring out-of-the-way places only to be rewarded by a new bad-ass item that let you do cool stuff to progress places on the map you couldn't go before, imagine that -- but with a world map the size and scope of something like Breath of the Wild, without leaving big swathes of open or empty land to have to wade through with nothing to do.

Don't think 2 people could make something like that?

No worries. I've got you covered. I'm a master at picking out the subtle stuff people love in games. There are key elements to BotW that make it great fun, and I'm positive some of those portions of gameplay work especially well with the gameplay style (and scale!) I have in mind. I won't share details here, but if you're interested, feel free to hit me up. No matter what, we can still tweak/add/delete stuff from my personal vision of this game, but we already have a barebones framework in place until then.

My vision for this particular game is to have a unique-looking adventurer, not unlike that of the aforementioned Link, explore a vast world freely. It would include small bites of story/world-building elements throughout, not unlike an old NES Final Fantasy game, and even potentially include something akin to time-travel in the game-mechanics -- harkening back to the days of Chrono Trigger, imo.

My personal preference genre-wise is Action/RPG games (as you can probably tell), as they tend to give a sense of epic battling and adventuring that you can't find in other genres, but I enjoy almost all types of games. My personal favorite of all time (in other genres) is still Super Mario 64, the truest 3D-platformer of all time. :)

I've got a few other ideas for easy-to-make but high-impact games that we could work on that would have a similar potential to the one I've suggested here, with each of them in varying markets, but I would prefer to make this one to start, as it would be the largest, highest-impact, and easiest to make (for a new team) out of them all, which I think is probably for the best!

In closing:

Screenshots to follow when I have time to show proof-of-concept, but hopefully what I've said here has piqued your interest. The less people who see them, the better-off we are, so contact me first if you can! Send me some examples of your work too! I'd love to see what you can do! I really look forward to working with you! :)