Home Technical Talk

Single map: multiple, different assets

Spur
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spur polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to work on  several small assets for a project, mostly consisting of just trash/ground clutter. I originally planned on packing everything on one texture map but thinking more on it, I'm starting to wonder if its really worth it verses having a separate small map for each item. None of the different objects will be batchable since they have different vertex counts, etc. We're talking things like a pallets, drums, bottles, banding, paper trash, etc. So removing batching from the equation, is there really any other benefit to putting all those items on one map? I'm trying to think of it in terms of an asset library that will be expanding over time which would be easier to do with a small map per item type as opposed to everything on one map.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Draw calls can be reduced by using the same material (with same bitmaps in it) across multiple meshes.

As long as those meshes are commonly used in the same geographic location, then it's a good idea to use an atlas. Because the maps have to be loaded even if you're only using a single item from the set.

You can use additional atlases if you run out of room.