Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ben Lane's Work Thread

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
BenjaminJohn polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

My name is Ben Lane and I'm currently in my final year at The University of Hertfordshire, this is a thread that I started in Second year where I plan on updating progression and what I am working on any input/feedback is more than welcome :) 

Replies

• BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a brief to recreate a room in unreal engine, I chose the bathroom from crimson peak (quick moodboard): 

And I just started a quick blockout in maya here's where I'm at so far: 

• BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's where I am at with the Crimson Peak environment, I will be coming back to it to improve some of the textures (the wooden paneling on the roof especially needs work) and the shadow maps need a lot more attention too, but I'm fairly happy with the outcome, first time using unreal so learnt a lot :) 

• BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying something different now! Making a sci-fi female pilot for another assignment, here's the concept I am using, from artstation by Yoon Lee: 

https://www.artstation.com/artist/blueart

Here are some screenshots of where I'm at so far: 

I wanted to try hard surface in zbrush so I made a low poly base for each piece of armor in maya with quad draw, then imported each into zbrush and did all the extrusions and panelling there. Some have let me know that the proportions do not completely match the concept (especially around the hips) which I will address soon :) 
  • Evaniiish
    Offline / Send Message
    Evaniiish vertex
    She looks too thin imo
  • BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Evaniiish said:
    She looks too thin imo
    Yeah I see where you're coming from, she is quite thin in the concept itself (especially around her elbow and waist) but the thighs and hips are definitely wider in the concept so I'll try and improve on that, thanks! :) 
  • BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time without posting anything on here so thought I should start posting again :) 

I finished the character a while ago but recently made some changes to the proportions of everything and got some renders in Keyshot, I think it's looking much better with the new changes!  :) 

I've also been working on my final year group project a lot the past few months, I've posted some of my work in the proect thread (http://polycount.com/discussion/192103/the-resistance) but thought I should post some of it on here too just to keep everything together, so here's a modular building that I've been working on: 

If you'd like to see more wireframe renders they can be found on my artstation and I'll get around to posting more of my other work on here soon :) 
  • BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more work I did a while ago, I recently took some time to learn Marvelous Designer and made two basic outfits one male and one female, the male outfit is inspired by Sebastian Castellanos from The Evil Within: 

And here's a statue I sculpted in ZBrush high-poly is rendered in Keyshot:

And I also made a low-poly scene in Marmoset with a bunch of (probably too much) feathers :P 

I'll post more of my older work soon and then get around to posting WIP's afterwards :) 
  • BenjaminJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been working very hard over the past few weeks on a UE4 environment that I've submitted for the Grads in Games Search For A Star 2018 competition based on a piece of concept art for Assassin's Creed Unity: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7467/15618632590_89512d132e_o.png

I spent about 5 weeks working on it and have to put it on hold now to get back to University work, but I plan on coming back to it to improve/add to it in the future! Learnt a lot making it and really enjoyed the whole process :) 

Note: The painting used in the project is John William Waterhouse's 'The Lady of Shalott' (1888).