Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critque

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
alutes polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting a job, so I figure I've got issues that I need to correct. It's currently all stylized work: I'm working on a realistic portfolio at the moment. Really let me know every problem you have. Here's everything that is currently in my portfolio:

Replies

• czepta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    czepta polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Alutes in my opinion you need to up your game a lot. These look like student work. Are they all box modeled? If you want to be a character artist you will need to learn the pipeline for modern character art. You could check out some tutorials online like CubeBrush has done on creating a character with the current pipeline. You will need to get into sculpting and learning proper anatomy. The anatomy in all of these shows a lack of referencing. There are tonnes of resources available so you will just have to compare your work to the work of professionals and do what it takes to get to that level. Its a lot of work but persistence and getting feedback are the key to success. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    I think they're good, but the problem is that to be a character artist you have to be phenomenal - character artists don't usually go to entry level positions? Common advice I've seen is that it's far easier to land a job as a prop artist and then work on your characters; building your way up to a character art position. :)

I think the actual stylisation and the paintwork on the textures is pretty good, but the anatomy is slightly off and it's causing stuff to fall into the uncanny valley. Ygritte for example has quite a long neck  and upper torso - this may be a stylistic decision but it doesn't look 'right' to me. Anatomy knowledge has to be perfect to land a character role (especially in the larger studios.) 

Your presentation posters could do with more excitement. The font is boring and you're cramming quite a lot onto the same poster. Try doing...

- Technical poster, with wireframes or texture shots (need to see multiple textures, you're only showing the Albedo at the moment and your posters use textures as a plural, meaning there must be more?)

- Beauty posters, with no technical breakdowns but just nice lighting on the characters in different poses or different facial expressions. 

- Maybe upload some concept sketches if they look presentable. 

- Have a look into using something like Marmoset Viewer or Sketchfab to embed 3D views of the model into your site. 

Have a look at how the pros do their character portfolios. Baj Singh has some awesome character stuff to look at, for example, @ https://bajsingh.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps. :) Keep on making great work to share!

• alutes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alutes polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the helpful feedback. Dan; I am mostly looking for prop jobs right now, but I do character art as a way to try and elevate myself. I really like the presentation of Baj Singh, I'll be moving towards that. Anatomy is a persistent issue, but so am I =)