Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prop Study Feeback

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
PBrain polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, can anyone give me some feedback for this piece I made? Modeled in Maya, textured in Substance Painter. First time using Substance. First few pics are reference of the real prop.

Replies

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    The finished product looks decent but the materials look like they could use a bit more love. The topology looks like it is directly taken from your High poly model (unsubdivided) and could probably have 1/5th (or even less) the amount of polygons you have which is important for real time rendering performance.
  • Poly Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly Knight polycounter lvl 4
    I'll echo samnck's comments about the materials needing some love.  They just aren't reading like metal at this point.  The ref you have is solid and shows some really nice edge wear and general wear on the prop from use.  Try to replicate that a little closer.  Also the end cap that seems to screw into the knife seems a little larger then what is in your ref, tough to tell from the angle of the ref you posted, but might want to take a look at that.

The asset is super high poly for what it is.  Did you build a low poly for this?  You could reduce the tri count a lot and still keep the same silhouette.  As a rule of thumb, if the edges aren't effecting the overall silhouette of the asset, they aren't needed.

Take a look at Chamfer Zone's last tutorial.  Tim is a fantastic artist and he just release a tutorial based on a knife.  Not the same as yours, but everything in it, is 100% transferable.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx6FRkGCUg3NXut5qGOdgYg

Keep at it!!!