Home Technical Talk

Zbrush scale issue with quick masking and symmetry.

Bigby
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Bigby vertex
Ive noticed this but cant find anything on the subject so maybe its just me. Does this affect anyone else?
You know how you can use the transpose tool to "quick mask" drag a mask along a surface? For some odd reason WITH SYM on, you cannot do that on a real world scale object. Only something small / unified.

For example, make a zbrush sphere, just a regular one that comes with it and unify it. With the transpose tool AND symmetry on, you can quick mask both sides however you want equally.

Now scale that sphere up to around 5 feet in centimeters. If you try doing the exact same thing, it does not work. You cannot quick mask with transpose AND symmetry. You can only do it if you take off symmetry. Without symmetry it quick masks fine.

This has always been a hassle for me having to scale up the model to real world if I want to use it in maya for practical usage. Regardless, it would be an amazing time saver if I could keep the 5 foot scale and quick mask symmetrically. Without it, it becomes a pain when posing limbs and oddities.

Any help? This has bugged me so much that ive been considering other options JUST for the ease of transferring a properly scaled model. Is there a setting I can adjust anywhere?

It does not matter if I import it via obj, fbx, or even goz. Same issue.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Things often behave unpredictably if you work way out of ZB native scale. I recommend working within the native scale and scaling to real world in Maya when the model is complete.
  • Bigby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigby vertex
    Things often behave unpredictably if you work way out of ZB native scale. I recommend working within the native scale and scaling to real world in Maya when the model is complete.
    Thats what Ive been doing. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else or if theirs a fix.