Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Sad Walk Cycle

bentraje
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
bentraje polycounter lvl 7
Hi. May I ask for your advice on how to improve this cycle? 
Please ignore the left hand as I was having a gimbal lock problem at that one.
I am concerned on the foot. I am not sure if it communicates sadness. 

TIA!
cai

Replies

• EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 8
    It almost looks like he's dragging something at the moment. His feet need to drag more and he doesn't have to be this bent over. Just having his head down and shoulders slouched forward could work. His feet are also very straight, give them some angle. 

The cycle itself has some issues, make sure your curves are flowing properly.
  • Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    It could definitely be a lot sadder! I would say make him walk slower so that it doesn't really look like he's going anywhere, just wandering in melancholy. Also as EVernier pointed out, drag his feet more and don't be afraid to push the angles!
  • Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    Their is a jerk at your last frame, I don't think you ended the loop on the frame before the last one, so it's hard to judge your work.

(1) You're not exaggerating the hips, chest, spine or shoulders enough or none at all. He is going up and down like a robot, but their is no emotion otherwise.

(2) Your toes need to curl upwards when your taking steps forward and slam down when the heel hits the ground.

(3) Overall your animation should be 10-20% slower IMO.

(4) If you want to communicate sadness through the feet IMO, you need to exaggerate the time needed for your character to lift the feet, hold it (Ever so slightly) in anticipation in the passing pose and shift the entire upper body's weight into the foot as it's brought down quickly.

• Carlosop784
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a great website. Please make these type of website more pleaseeeee.