Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Inspire Store Front Substance and UE4 Env

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
reckzilla polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! Morrissey Alexander here with my newest portfolio piece! as a note it has been brought to my attention that the big sign is in Korean.... So.... Yeah, will be looking into fixing that in the future possibly but for now here we go!

At it's core this is a scene based on some Photography from Liam Wong of Japan and the awesome use of chiaroscuro and the really pretty colors from the neon signs and shop lights. I also personally really like Eastern architectural urban culture (Korean, Taiwanese, Japanese, Chinese, etc. etc.) so basically the residential areas and shopping areas are really cool to me. I was also inspired Scott Homers work on Homefront Revolution and the store fronts he made for that game; I really enjoyed the awesome detailing to the textures and materials and the stories that were told through the texture work. And lastly I wanted to practice unifying a Substance Designer and Substance Painter to UE4 to create game art since I use Marmoset a lot I wanted to make sure I brush up on my skills. Also I really like trying to do cool lighting.

So, I had been practicing Substance Painter and Designer Independently just to get used to the tools and I really felt like i was getting a good hold on them as stand alone tool so I wanted to take all these tools (Maya, Xnormal, Substance Painter&Designer, Unreal Engine 4) and practice building a high quality scene/diorama instead of just stand alone assets. I feel like I achieved a fairly decent quality environment piece it still has some of my trademark grunge styling and crazy overuse of post process tools. 

This was a really fun project where I tried to take all the cool little Painter tricks I had been coming up with to create really cool texturing effects with tape, labels, using of photo textures to create complex roughness maps in combination with the generators to create to interesting props and assets quickly while retaining a decent quality. Anywho enjoy! I will my Artstation for more pics and will have 3 here one is a much more stylized lighting and post process approach meant to match the Photography of Liam Wong, a shot with the intent of having a more realistic lighting approach, and just like a detail lighting pass for fun. Thanks!

Stylized Lighting Pass

Realistic Lighting Pass

Detail Lighting Pass 

Have a great day and weekend!

More Screenshots Here: 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rDRrL

Replies