Home Technical Talk

Wacom 13HD - Anyone use on one of these for Zbrush?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I am looking to move on from my battered 3rd hand Intuos 3 tablet, and I am really keen to move onto a cintiq style on-screen model. I originally was more of a pencil & paper type artist, and getting used to a non-visual tablet was a chore, I'm there now more or less, but a part of me really wants to be able to draw/sculpt right where I am looking...

I cannot afford the bigger Cintiqs... they are way out of my budget, and will be for a good long while. The 13HD are on sale on amazon.co.uk, and I just got paid... and I am seriously thinking of getting one. But before I do, I wanted to get some professional (that's you guys!) opinions. I looked up some older posts on this, but didn't get much info from them... so here are my questions: 

- Has anyone used/is currently using this for sculpting in zbrush? How do you find it? 

- Can it be used as a standard (non-display) tablet as well?

That's all I really wanna know! Thanks guys

Replies

• angelo9888
    Offline / Send Message
    angelo9888 vertex
    Hey there, 
    I bought one a while ago and sold it two months later, maybe less, and I went back to my intuos. 
    The screen is really small for zbrush and for sculpting or modeling in general. If you don't have a problem with the size of the screen it is a really nice tablet overall.
  • angelo9888
    Offline / Send Message
    angelo9888 vertex
    Also you can use it as a standard tablet, but this is a total waste of money... :smile:

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the resolution of the screen seems pretty low too for stationary use. through the years there were also complaints about pointer inaccuracy near the screen corners. overall verdict regarding this model looks like a pass to me :)

have you looked into a 2nd hand / refurbished 'proper' cintiq?

• adaweawe
    Offline / Send Message
    adaweawe polycounter lvl 3
    i did. waaaaay too small of a screen for serious zbrush work.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The Ugee 2150 is very well rated and dirt cheap compared to a Cintiq. Haven't tried it myself.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the input, I think the general repeated consensus is to give this one a miss... I might just upgrade to a newer Intuos... half the price for that, and at least I've gotten used to using 'em...
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to dissent and say I like it. I got a Cintiq 13HD instead of a bigger off-brand tablet monitor and it does have its shortcomings (parallax, a bit of latency, poor tracking near the edges), but it has tilt sensitivity which I use to touch up and detail normal maps in Krita. I think I'm able to sculpt more precisely on it compared to my old Intuos 4, and I find I'm able to get better surface control compared to my old tablet. Depending on how you work it might be worthwhile (but since Zbrush doesn't really use tilt that much you might be better off getting a tablet monitor from a different brand instead if you mostly just use Zbrush.) I really like it and I'm happy with the purchase.
  • LeeCurt
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeCurt polycounter lvl 2
    I used a cintiq 13HD for a year before purchasing the 22HD.
    Sculpting with zbrush was really great, but i had to use a custom UI to enlarge the canvas and increase the button and text size a little bit.
    I switched because it was impossible for me to work on a fullHD screen that small for more than 3h a day.
    So if you are going for short time sessions, it's a good tablet, otherwise, it can become really exhausting for your eyes IMO.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jed - Thanks for letting me know of your experience with it, and I'm glad to hear it's worked out for ya. However I think the combo of what you've mentioned (the slight latency) and what LeeCurt mentions; with the size of the screen increasing eye-strain, I'll have to wait until I can afford a big'un I suppose... I don't handle either of those things well.

Many thanks to all who gave me some input :)