Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Vray : How to render WITH AO Maps?

I like ripping out models from games, rendering them in artistic scenes and what not. Sometime I do it for a project, to change the cosmetics graphics, portraits of these characters. I use Vray to help me with that, as I can do everything within it, without having to then export and use other programs. Model, Map, rig, pose, the works. I just use Photoshop for texturing, with Quixel.

The exports i want to render, in question has 3 important maps, a:

Base colour albedo map, generally consisting of flat colours with no shading what so ever.
a normal map which hopefully is self explanatory 

and a black and white map with appears to be shadows and the details, which tend to look like this: http://i.imgur.com/9zOIhto.png

How can I utilize this map the way its meant to be used? My old solution was to just use Photoshop and composite the map as an overlay but I think that cheating It would never look the same as it would in game, and I am trying to at least get close... Even the normal maps tend to be weak and, overall not working as well as they could in external programs like marmoset. I was wondering, to those who do this thing for a living, how can I utilize all 3 of those maps together? Especially the ambient (AO) map, I know of no maps or materials that can utilize it the way its meant to be used, I think.  I am starting to think it just is not possible.

Replies

• KuroKairaku
    I guess to be specific, I am just rendering out Sm4sh Models, to make cosmetics out of them for either brawl or Sm4sh itself. Utilizing these maps properly, to achieve similar like in game effects still proves to be difficult for me.