Home Adobe Substance

Wooden Woes

null
I'm new to this wonderful piece of software and I've had a lot of fun making various substances so far. But I seem quite stumped by wood, of all things. I keep running into trouble making a good vein pattern that looks half-decent even while tiled. Have a look at the example here. I could totally use some help to understand how to build veiny wood that can be tiled.

I totally don't expect an example graph or anyone to do the work for me. I just look to understand how to make it myself!

Replies

• acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    It's all about detail.  I followed this video by Allegorithmic and it helps a great deal.  Wes does a pretty good job on explaining how to set it up. 

https://youtu.be/g3FqRCx63Lk

Look at your reference material, if you're using one and break it down into shapes and lines.  Since learning from this video, it's easier to create the more natural materials with all the tiny little details that come with it.  I can go on and give you specifics for nodes but I'll stray from that for now.  Send me a message if you want more information.  I'll be glad to help as best as I can. 
  • Bruno Afonseca
    This is how I do it:

My tile generators on the bottom have a negative value on the interstice so they stretch out nicely.
    This is the final result:

• Fabelwesen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabelwesen null
    Cheers guys! I can't believe how I missed that first video, either! I've spent days searching but that has, somehow, slipped past.

Both of you were extremely helpful in this :o! Thank you, tons.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers guys! I can't believe how I missed that first video, either! I've spent days searching but that has, somehow, slipped past.

Both of you were extremely helpful in this :o! Thank you, tons.
    Oh yeah.  This video is hard to miss.  If you haven't already, subscribe to Allegorithmic's YouTube channel.  Good luck to you, share your results with us when you finish.  I'd like to see how it turns out.