Home Unity

Real-Time GI problems in architectural VR

This discussion was created from comments split from: Realtime GI/Enlighten problem.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I got most of the lighting working fairly well in my scene.

There are still some errors to figure out. The real-time GI is a bit jaggy in places, like the rear skylights. I think I need to adjust my UV2 so those edges align with the GI pixels? I was surprised to see that UV2 still matters for real-time GI.

I'm not seeing the wall acne though, so at least that's something.

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cleaner than most of my non-RT-lightmaps, to be honest ;)
  • minev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minev polycounter lvl 4
    Well I got most of the lighting working fairly well in my scene.

There are still some errors to figure out. The real-time GI is a bit jaggy in places, like the rear skylights. I think I need to adjust my UV2 so those edges align with the GI pixels? I was surprised to see that UV2 still matters for real-time GI.

I'm not seeing the wall acne though, so at least that's something.

So you are using custom UVs and enabling 'Preserve UVs' in object Lighting options, right?
    I have used Enlighten's automatic unwrap in my scene, never did any 'aligning with GI pixels'. Maybe a good tactic :)

Your scene looks good, you can post some of Enlighten's scene views (like Irradiance, Lit clusters view etc.) to maybe give more insight about it. 
    If you are having unexpected behavior on some small/narrow places, I found that detaching such geo from main hull and playing with custom GI parameters for it does help. 
    P.S. kind of a late post, but this part of forum is pretty inactive anyway :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think we need to adjust the way the Unity forum displays. In the root of Technical Talk, these subforums don't show their latest threads.

Anyhow, yes, using Preserve UVs. Which can preserve the incoming shells, but will always repack them (to maintain consistent gutters). You probably know this already.

Here it is without custom UVs. I lowered the GI resolution from 4 down to .5 as a quick and dirty solution to the jaggies. Still some ugly darkening in the corners though, where shaded texels behind things are bleeding through. I think we have to cut the walls to match, like behind that pilaster on the left.

The big green triangle wall looks like a single texel, but the checker is just real subtle. At a higher GI resolution the diagonal skylights would show how their texels are in world space, not aligned to the local roof pitch, which made it jaggy before.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still having some trouble. If my walls/ceilings interpenetrate each other, or are covered, I get real-time GI bake errors.

I have to fix the models by removing all the overlaps, and making it completely watertight. I didn't have to do this with Beast in the past, though the texel resolution is a lot lower now.

Curious if anyone has any tips for quickly dealing with this.

• minev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minev polycounter lvl 4
    I would try to deal with this by inserting few loop cuts (with auto. UV fix) and moving them to exact border between interior and overlapped areas. Then, on the UV map, simply detach the overlapped faces so they do not end up on the same Enlighten 'chunk' as the faces that are not overlapped. Then, given big enough padding, they will end completely dark but will not bleed onto any other nearby chunks. 
    Also there is a 'Backface tolerance' value in advanced GI settings, enabling discarding of a texel that hits too much back faces. Maybe flip some faces in that overlapped areas and see if the troublesome texel gets discarded and then sampled from nearby correct texels?

Also, regarding well known 'banding 'problem for all doing interior archviz with Realtime GI/Enlighten, a dev has answered about exact cause and solution to the problem in my Unity forum thread: 
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/realtime-gi-shading-problem.394518/#post-2802344
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up just cutting the polygons to eliminate the overlaps. Works OK in most cases. A few dark corners remain here and there but whatever.
  • cantankerous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice results Eric.. I've been struggling a bit with Realtime GI (and even baked lighting in Unity 5) so that's useful. Can I just ask did you use a 3rd party asset to give the ies light effect? 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I did, but it's not really necessary. Just use a cubemap as the cookie for your Point Light (or a 2d texture for a Spot Light). I think I just used the flashlight cookie that comes with Unity.

There's a plugin in the Asset Store that creates cubemaps based on IES profiles. I think it was this one.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59641
    But that was actually overkill for our project, the client just wanted it to look reasonably good. :)
  • cantankerous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah that's great.. thanks :-) quite a simple solution then, and the asset is reasonably priced. Like you say, I doubt my clients will ever need accurate IES profiles, just something that looks convincing.. rather than the default uniform distribution which is anything but!