Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Broken Pillar - WIP

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys!

I am looking to improve my hand painted skills as much and as fast as possible!

I have been working on this broken pillar the past few days.  I need some outside criticism and feedback so I can push it further.

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    off to a great start

I would add some color variation here and there to make it a bit more interesting to the eye.  Maybe push some purples or reds in the shadows, and I agree with @HappyConscript, add some wear on the bottom, I would imagine that the closer the object is to the ground the more wear it will have 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Thicker edge highlights.  MAKE IT CHUNKY AND BOLD.

• Earthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Earthyn,

This is looking good so far.

Where the texture is concerned, it would seem as though the lowest tier of the base is relatively unscathed in comparison to the rest of the pillar. It might be nice to see that portion roughed up a bit.

Additionally, it might be nice to see a bit more physical detail through deformation in the geometry. Perhaps a couple of larger chunks missing alongside the pot marks in the texture?

Keep up the good work!
    I do regret not adding more geometry to the model, I think I will take the time to add some actual damage to the model through geometry.

I will definitely add more love to the lower part of the pillar :)
    jose.fuentes said:
    off to a great start

I would add some color variation here and there to make it a bit more interesting to the eye.  Maybe push some purples or reds in the shadows, and I agree with @HappyConscript, add some wear on the bottom, I would imagine that the closer the object is to the ground the more wear it will have 
    I will work on getting some color variation in the texture to try and make it pop some more!

Thicker edge highlights.  MAKE IT CHUNKY AND BOLD.

Yes sir!
  • Earthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been a while since I had the chance to work on this some more!

This is where I am up to, worked on the lower part and added more geometry, I feel like its look much cleaner in terms of handpainted.

I need to add more cracks on the actual pillar and break/dirty up the lower part of the pillar.

I also need to figure out what the open top part of the pillar should look like?

Thanks!

• Earthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! So here is my final version, which is a little controversial, since if you guys can find any changes or improvements I will happily implement them! But I feel I need to move on from this pillar to further my skills.

Thanks guys!