Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vrykul house - World of Warcraft inspired hand-paint environment

Leoluch
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Leoluch polycounter lvl 4
good day, guys ! I want to show you process of creation this vrykul house: 

It was on concept from Ishmael Hoover : 

I really like viking style and wanted to create something like this in my portfolio. 
First i started from simple low poly. 

Then was long work of optimisation and finding good forms. I always create mini task for myself in my work and here i tried to use less materials as possible. So there are a lot of tileable textures, copying UV's and textures set for group of objects. I know that is usual practice in game development, but you do not use this often in your portfolio. Then high poly work : 

In high poly you see full model, but i baked only 1/2 or 1/4 of it ( not interesting to show half of house :D  ) 

Than first preview in marmoset with basic materials : 

Here i saw that i have problem with some normals and side dragons was totally awful after sculpting. Also i worked a little bit and then 2nd stage of work: 

After that long work of polishing and texturing in photoshop/3d coat. I changed dragon heads, changed proportion of some elements and etc. I always compare screenshot from Marmoset with  concept and changed some elements. And then final image: 

And some photoshop moments: 

Software used: Zbrush, Maya, 3d Coat, Substance Painter, Photoshop
Sketchfab model
Of course, i still need more practice in a lot of moments, but i like final model and i hope that was interesting for you. I will happy to hear your critiques.