Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beasty Creature (Final)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
gurtperk polycounter lvl 9
Hey, everyone. This is going to be a thread dedicated to my current side project. I'm working on this for fun in my free time. I wanted to share my process with you all and hopefully wrap up this bad boy at the end. :)

Latest:

I decided to work on the wonderful concept by Peter Konig. http://www.theartofpeterkonig.com/
The rendering of this image is so great. I love the shapes and attitude of this creature. For all his gnarly teeth and horns, he seems like a chill dude.

I analyzed the image and came up with a sheet of reference / inspiration before starting.

Block Out / Large Forms -

Blocking out the shapes, look at those stubby feets

Medium Forms -

Here's a quick Keyshot render of where I'm currently at. I've been primarily focusing on the medium shapes now. I'm using clay tubes and clay build up to start building up shapes. I started merging some of the pieces into the body (still need to merge the back legs next) and built out the face more.

Some fast turn around sheets of the model so far. Still need to work on some areas. I'm figuring out how the scales will work with the rest of the body... I think they might be too thin in the back. I'll also try and stagger them in the final layout so it's all not uniformly down the middle.

I'll be using this thread to update my progress. Any crits/comments are welcome, thanks for looking!

Replies