Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AR gun Receiver - feedback please - (triangles?)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Squeetimes polycounter lvl 5
Hello all

I'm new to modeling and would appreciate any feedback whatsoever. More specifically...
  •  I've seen that triangles are O.k. in models, but in what context?  Are the triangles in this model alright, or sloppy (Ie what is a bad vs good triangle) ?
  • Is the edge flow ok?
Also for reference, this is going to be used in games.  In this game, the guns will be seen up close.

I watched a tutorial before going into this, and there are definitely others I'm considering watching.  I've done some digging on the subject, but if anything comes to mind that might be helpful, that would be appreciated as well.

Replies

• Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 greentooth
    Hi,

Arrimus 3D has a great video tutorial on m4 receivers that might help you with the high poly version. Here's part 1  - there are 2 other parts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cORXuhXWi0Y

Good luck!

• Squeetimes
    Offline / Send Message
    Squeetimes polycounter lvl 5
     JoshuaG said:
    Your grip and lower receiver should be two separate pieces, with the lower receiver being one entirely single piece.
    The game developer actually requested the grip and lower receiver be in the same model.  I originally modeled them separately, then combined.  Is there an advantage to keeping them completely separate?  Or just in terms of an exercise, they ought to be separate?

Thanks for the references & the video tutorial, I'll go back and look at things again.

Much appreciated!
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    in the highpoly i would model them as separate objects, then down at the lp phase i would simply use target weld and merge the 2 together
  • Drew++
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    @JoshuaG I would remove those pictures of the CNC receivers. They're just confusing and clearly not the shape he's looking to make. Actually most of those pictures, since they're too different. He hasn't even posted his own reference...

@Squeetimes Man, you really should start out with a block out mesh before you start subdividing. Get the shape right, scale, size, proportions etc, then once you're satisfied: subdivide!
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    Triangles need to be avoided if you're making something that will be Turbosmoothed/Sub-Divided or if the mesh will be animated. however game models are ultimately reduced to triangles in the end, so if you are modeling props for games don't worry if the final model has triangles.