Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

trying to learn clothing

Sarsky
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Sarsky vertex
i have read burne hogarths book but i struggle a lot still with interpretting wrinkles and folds, i understand anchor points and gravity and kinetic energy effects how wrinkle fold and can cause them to crease or fold upwards when pressure its aplied like pulling your arm towards you or bending a limb and etc...

how ever i don't know how to draw/sculpt folds and how to achieve a pattern or interpret it because folds can be very overwhelming and when they zig zag or trap into each other in can make consistancy hard.

what i struggle with the most is trying to copy what i see form reference then transfering it into a 3d space, or how to create natural form by drawing the folds and shapes and etc...

if there is any way to actually study or learn how to draw/sculpt folds without being overwhelmed or having to guess too much and etc... that would be rgeat, i will be trying to draw clothing for a bit but i am not sure how far that will go without me truly undertsanding what i am doing...

Replies

• VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    It doesn't look that bad, I think you did a good job for someone who is not used working with cloths. I guess the best way is only by practicing. And perhaps having reference on your side to help you. I'm not good at working with cloths yet.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    marcinbydg i see, i guess ill keep practising then, i understand how pipe folds and less drapey and more tight clothing works, less about jackets or irregular folded clothing, its just hard to interpret form evne wityh zig zag method, i jsut need to look at my owork flow maybe and try simplifying as much as i can!
  • keithyong12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keithyong12 vertex
    Yeah you'd want to draw them in a more 3D fashion. Clothing is nothing more than a 3D object.  I suggest starting out with Scott Robertson's How to Draw, and also practicing anatomy.  It's more important to learn how to draw 3D and learn anatomy than to learn "drapery", which is honestly not that hard once you get in the hang of 3D drawing.