Home Technical Talk

Question about creating 3D Prop objects using references

kevingamerartist
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kevingamerartist polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

I asked a similar question to this not too long ago, but I just wanted to double check on something.

So when you are using a reference image to build a 3D Prop for an environment, if it's something that you are trying to build that actually exists in the real world, should you try to take as many reference shots so that way you can create as accurate of a 3D model as you can out of it?

What I mean from this is that if you are trying to model something that exists in the real world, should you take a side, front, top, and back reference shot image? I'm not sure if you need to, or if you try to model something from a reference image that you find on Google, if you should try to just model it based on that image, or second image you find of it, or if you should just go out and find something that you want to model and just take a lot of reference images for that 1 object?

I just want to make sure I'm taking the right approach to this, and not just skipping 1 or 2 steps. There is 1 object that I'm trying to model, but it's kind of hard to reference from it because I only have 1 reference image of it, and it's from an angle.

Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Replies

• kasigawa
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    @kevingamerartist
    I'm going to assume it depends on the complexity of the model you're trying to create or if you want to take visual bits from reference images to add to the object your trying to model. I would think the only reason for reference images is to help outline a 3d model, to have a visual guide when modeling an object, or to have an idea of how you want to create the topology for your model. Personally, I would take a front, side, and maybe even a top photo reference. Anything more can be a good visual aid but perhaps unnecessary. I suppose it all depends on what you're modeling. That would be my take on trying to answer your question.
  • Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Depends on what we are talking about. If it's just a simple prop like a chair or a water bottle etc. i will take a look at one, two photos and eyeball it. If it's something like a tank then i collect blueprints and hundreds of photos of every detail.
  • Eric Chadwick
    More reference is always better than less.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The more you model, the better you can eyeball and guess, I'd suggest getting a lot of reference, but don't let it bog you down. Sometimes references don't match up perfectly or perspective makes it harder to determine exactly where something is. If you don't have much for reference do a good blockout and make sure the proportions are on point. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Depends on what we are talking about. If it's just a simple prop like a chair or a water bottle etc. i will take a look at one, two photos and eyeball it. If it's something like a tank then i collect blueprints and hundreds of photos of every detail.
    +1

Also, eyeballing refs is great observation practice.
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    And if it's a small object you actually have in hand, calipers are invaluable.
  • kevingamerartist
    Offline / Send Message
    kevingamerartist polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome! Thanks for all the good advice everyone! :)