Home General Discussion

Ideal job for someone who enjoys both drawing/painting and organic soft surface sculpting?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
TaoLiu vertex
Hi, I've been really interested in being an artist in the video games industry. The two areas I've been most interested in are sculpting creatures and 2D concept art (environments, creatures, humans, etc.), but it seems I should specialize only in one area. 

Is there some job position that requires you to have both great 2D and Zbrush sculpting skills?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    A lot of concept artists will also do sculpting and 3d work. It's not just painting. This is especially true when mechanical work is involved. It's often a lot easier to quickly make a 3D model and paint in the details afterwards. 
  • TaoLiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaoLiu vertex
    OK thanks. I haven't gotten into hard surface and maya modeling as much, so I had doubts whether I would make it as a 3D artist. It seemed like it is easier to find a job due to higher demand for 3D artists, so I thought of pushing myself to learn more hard surface and Maya. 
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Concept artist was my thought as well. Some people even use a workflow in which they create a rough 3D sketch in ZBrush, then paint the details and color over a screengrab of it in Photoshop.