Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Black materials in DDO

null
Offline / Send Message
LanGun44 null
Hello all this is my first post to this community and I am not sure that I an in the right spot, you all seem to be artist and not necessarily just getting started so let me know if I am in the wrong place.

My goal: is to create content for the Unreal Engine so I have a modeled gun and all attachments (11 meshes total) as this system will be modular and the player can add or remove components. I would like all of these to reference 1 UV map so the engine doesnt have to load a bunch of different files for this weapon. (This intent might not be the best please let me know if this is the wrong direction)

I am having trouble assigning materials to the regions of the model I have specified as different materials, usually I can hold Shift+C in DDO and it lets me select the material I want from the library, but this project is showing most of the materials as black. I am assigning the mesh groups along with the material ID/Normal/AO.

Here is the Material ID Map:

Here are my initial import settings:

and here is the image along with the black issue I am having:

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That's because those are other mesh groups and are being treated as different objects for texturing purposes. You won't be able to select them from the group you're currently working in. Click on the group you'd like to work with in 3DO, or use the dropdown selection from the DDO interface to switch between groups and apply materials. :)

It's also worth noting that if you created baked normals for this project (as in high-to-low baked), you should reimport your project, add the normal map again, and make sure that you don't check Bake in 3DO for curvature. Leave it filled with the premade curvature - this will get derived from your normal map. Otherwise you'll combine the low-poly curvature with the normal map curvature, which may lead to unsatisfactory masking in DynaMask.
  • LanGun44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LanGun44 null
    Thank you for the reply, even when I drop down to another mesh in the 3DO drop down selection and select another mesh it still doesn't change it still has everything as black. could it be that my 3DO inst updating or something? Also I don't have a a hi to low baked normal jut running with it as is, my normal's could use work and I will ask about that in another post, :) 

Machine specs (just in case I am running into a system resources issue)
    • MoBo: MSI Z97 Gamming 5
    • Gfx Card: MSI GTX 980 ti Seahawk
    • CPU: Intel i7-4770K
    • Ram: Adata 4x4GB DDR3-1333
    • SSD: 2x Corsair Force GS 128GB
    • SSD: 1x Samsung EVO 500
    • Photoshop and Quixel are current
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Have you tried closing 3DO and reopening it?
  • LanGun44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LanGun44 null
    Yeah I have tried restarting it but I get the same issue. I will just make UV maps for each part. this is a work around for what I was trying to do but I can get the project done this way. thank you for trying to help out with this.