Home Technical Talk

(3ds Max) Really simple question

diglett
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
diglett polycounter lvl 2
How do you connect 2 vertices into an edge to create a face in 3ds max... why can't I simply select the vertices and click connect in edit poly. I mean isn't that logical, why is this program not logical

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's logical. It's just not working how you think it should work, that's a big difference :)

When in vertex mode, connect isn't to create a poly out of thin air, but to connect an edge on a polygon surface, between two verts that aren't already connected.

Think of a cylinder cap, select two opposing verts and hit connect, now you have an edge.
    Delete the cap, select two verts and hit connect, nothing. That's because you can't connect two verts across nothing. Edges can't exist without a poly.

If you're asking why vert mode doesn't create edges or polys, that's probably because you should be in edge or poly mode.

If the blue space is a hole and you want to fill it in, switch to edge mode and use the bridge tool. There is also the "Build tool" inside of the graphite modeling tools.

• diglett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks, I tried the bridge tool already but I guess I hadn't enabled "use specific edges" and then click create in the action option panel
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Another route... switch to Polygon mode and use Create, then click on the three verts (double-click the last one). You can also use Border mode and Cap it.
  • diglett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this happened when I tried to bridge the verts, and flipping the face does nothing. @Eric Chadwick
    are you referring to the modifier "editable Poly" when you say switch to polygon mode?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yes.

1st thing, Reset Xform and Collapse your modifier stack. This cleans up a lot of issues.

2) Turn on Backface Culling in the Object Properties. This will help you avoid doubling up faces inadvertently.

Then see if your problem still exists.
  • diglett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I  think that helped. You actually helped solve the question I just posted on the tech forum as well, haha. graci