Home Technical Talk

Recovering My Substance Designer File

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
Issue
The data in my substance designer graph is gone. Yesterday I made a post detailing an object I made
( http://polycount.com/discussion/175736/wip-turret-heavy-duty/p1?new=1 )

I had ALL of my maps generated in substance designer. My metalness and roughness was created using mask from my color ID map. I had a really cool network going and everything. Even the screenshot with all 4 textures together was made using substance designer. When I was happy with it, I saved the graph. I even backed up the file to my secondary drive. When I open it now, this is all I see. This makes no sense. Even if there was some random software glitch, how did it nuke EVERYTHING I'VE WORKED INCLUDING THE AUTOSAVES AND ALL THE STUFF ON MY BACKUP DRIVE!?! Is there ANYTHING I can do to get my data back? I spent weeks hacking all this stuff together and right when I finish it get's blown away by god knows what.

Missing
>99% of my actual graph
>Resources: Baked out curvature map
>Output node: Curvature
>Output node: Cavity
>Output node: Screenshot

Steps to resolve
>Opened all the autosaves. All of them are the same
>Went to my backup drive. and it's autosaves. Everything is the same
>Something is definitely fishy. I just opened a drive that has been PHYSICALLY disconnected from my computer. I plugged in the drive to get my data. The last time I backed up was on August28. Now I know any glitch that could have possibly corrupted my graph yesterday could not spread to this disconnected portable drive since that would be PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I opened it. Still looks the same.
>I'm not screwing with it any more until I get the go from someone who is knowledgeable. I'm afraid I'll only break it even further.

Replies

• daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    Also, here is what it looks like when I open my autosave. Seriously, HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Even if Designer had corrupted somehow the main file, there is no way it could have corrupted the autosave files, and a corrupted sbs will likely not open at all as the xml code in it would be broken. The fact that these files have actual valid syntax and open fine makes it look more like these are older versions of the sbs.. do the "last modified" dates check out?

Could you send the files to me by PM just so that I can take a look?