Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Why are Megascans only available as JPGs ?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
philwinkel polycounter lvl 4
Why are megascans textures all JPG right now? Curious b/c it's a lossy format. This question was asked elsewhere  but seems to have gone unanswered.

Thanks!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    this depends on your subscription... studio will provide EXR files...
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Sorry about missing out on your question. Regarding this, our FAQ covers it:

https://megascans.se/faq#Studio

What’s the Studio License?

If you are a published studio residing at a single location looking to create and release a commercial project such as a game, film or other commercial media, this is the license for you. If you wish to use a higher or unlimited number of points, or want to license the service for multiple offices or locations, please contact us with your situation and we will help tailor a subscription to suit your needs.

As a Licensee of the Studio License, here are a few points to keep in mind:

• You may use any assets acquired during your subscription as many times you like, on any number of projects, for all of time.
    • The Studio License grants usage rights for a single entity, and does not grant usage rights for affiliate companies, outsourcing partners, subsidiaries and/or entities that share the name but not the location of the parent entity.
    • You have full access to 8K texture resolutions where applicable, as well as full access to lossless EXR source files for all texture maps.
    • You may continue to use the Megascans Bridge desktop software for all of time to manage and export your downloaded assets.
    This may change in the future, but for now, these are the options we have for customers. *.JPG hasn't seemed to affect any art I've seen so far. It is indeed compressed, but I haven't really seen any complaints about the quality of the files yet. If you'd like, I can forward your concerns to the development team!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    jpegs are really bad for displacement... they shoule be at least 16bit... 
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may change in the future, but for now, these are the options we have for customers. *.JPG hasn't seemed to affect any art I've seen so far. It is indeed compressed, but I haven't really seen any complaints about the quality of the files yet. If you'd like, I can forward your concerns to the development team!

It was more of a technical question, than a customer support request xD I have not noticed any problems with the megascans JPG's, they look amazing. 

in retrospect it was kind of a bad question, sorry. Jpg is smallest file size, and you guys don't seem to have any textures that use alpha channels. so I just answered my own question.  I understand a 4k PNG file size is gonna be super huge compared to a jpg, and you guys are in the downloads bandwidth business now. File size is king.

I'm curious how your JPG output looks compared to a lossless file format.  How much data gets lost in translation. It must not be noticable, because megascans look amazing. I'm not complaining about the JPG's, I am totally cool with them :)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At least the Normal map could be .png since this deals with lighting.
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At least the Normal map could be .png since this deals with lighting.
    Yeah I'm still very curious about the jpg. 

I know in photoshop for web development, a PNG is usually preferred, they are lossless, and they support alpha channel. 

JPG are obviously great when you don't need transparency, and you can find a sweet spot by balancing jpg quality / file size.  But I've noticed that as jpg quality increases, the file size often equals or exceeds the size of a png. A 100% quality jpg often exceeds the file size of a png. 

But I think other things come into play, like the amount of different colors in the image. 

I'm speaking from a web developer perspective though, so obviously different use cases. I don't use 4k images on the web, etc.

Would love to learn more about the decision to use all jpgs though. I'll probably do some tests at some point and report back , quixel people seem very busy...
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Very busy is actually putting it mildly. I'm busier than I've ever been. I almost miss the quiet days from a couple of weeks ago. :)

I've been told that we're open to the idea of *.PNGs for normal maps in the future. :) We likely won't be able to offer *.PNG for the other maps without increasing costs to compensate for bandwidth, and the pipeline for uploading and fixing things up on our end. *.JPG is the most cost-effective way to serve Megascans to the general public aside from the Studio tiers, who definitely pay more for their *.EXR versions.
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very busy is actually putting it mildly. I'm busier than I've ever been. I almost miss the quiet days from a couple of weeks ago. :)

I've been told that we're open to the idea of *.PNGs for normal maps in the future. :) We likely won't be able to offer *.PNG for the other maps without increasing costs to compensate for bandwidth, and the pipeline for uploading and fixing things up on our end. *.JPG is the most cost-effective way to serve Megascans to the general public aside from the Studio tiers, who definitely pay more for their *.EXR versions.
    totally understand :) This is huge for Quixel, as well as your customers. awesome work guys. I'll stop rambling about this xD
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What about a more modern lossy format like BPG?