Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey guys, so I've been an apprentice game artist at a school called PlaygroundSquad in Manchester, United Kingdom since April and I was just wondering if you'd be able to give me some feedback on my portfolio so far. Anything and everything would be much appreciated Thankyou!
Portfolio: www.HutchinsonPortfolio.com

Replies

• gerridoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gerridoo polycounter lvl 4
    What stands out to me the most is your texturing. I think your material definition is quite weak at the moment. The shading on the military truck is very simple and generic. It seems like just a single value with no noticeable variation in the roughness map. I'm not sure how far you wanted to take that asset, however I'd consider putting some thought into making sure the rubber on the tire looks like rubber, things like that. Also think about where to build up some weathering, such as some rust perhaps, scratches or paint chipping. Think about if the truck went over a patch of mud, where it would splash near the tires.

Overall it'd be nice to also see breakdowns of your work such as wireframes and texture sheets. I'd also remove the simple bedroom mental ray render, which is poorly lit and in my opinion your weakest piece. I'd keep everything in an engine like UE4 or Marmoset if your focus is on game art and game art alone. 
  • DanHutchinson97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou ! I'll get started on this, this week hopefully and get back to you with updates :)