Home Technical Talk

Boolean Problem

AmandaWawyn
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
AmandaWawyn polycounter lvl 2
Hi,

I'm trying to boolean unify geometry together for 3D printing. I can usually get it down to 2-3 pieces but when i try to boolean those together my mesh disappears.
The geometry is completely sealed, I've frozen transforms, deleted history, conformed normals.
I'm just about at my wits end, any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This might not directly answer your question, but: in many cases, 3d printing  does not require the mesh to be continuous (as in, things can intersect) because this as well as wall thickness, honeycomb fills and support structures are all taken care of during toolpath Gcode generation, before printing. Now of course you want to avoid open meshes, but that's a different thing altogether.

All that said if you do indeed require a continuous shell, you might as well bring it all into Zbrush, dynamesh at high density, and decimate.
  • AmandaWawyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    This might not directly answer your question, but: in many cases, 3d printing  does not require the mesh to be continuous (as in, things can intersect) because this as well with wall thickness, honeycomb fills and support structures are all taken care of during toolpath Gcode generation, before printing. Now of course you want to avoid open meshes, but that's a different thing altogether.

All that said if you do indeed require a continuous shell, you might as well bring it all into Zbrush, dynamesh at high density, and decimate.

That helps a lot, thank you!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Also, Fusion 360 has now added dynamesh-type tools (basically they've incorporated mesh-mixer tech) so it's another option. Plus setting up for print in F360(exact dimension calibration, mm precision hollowing, section analysis, etc) is a lot more exacting than ZB.

Just wondered if this is for a tabletop game? If so, you might think about building it in modulars. You could model in some pegs/holes (or just glue it) and it would be easier to paint.
  • AmandaWawyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, Fusion 360 has now added dynamesh-type tools (basically they've incorporated mesh-mixer tech) so it's another option. Plus setting up for print in F360(exact dimension calibration, mm precision hollowing, section analysis, etc) is a lot more exacting than ZB.

Just wondered if this is for a tabletop game? If so, you might think about building it in modulars. You could model in some pegs/holes (or just glue it) and it would be easier to paint.
    We're looking to print this for a tabletop game, definitely going to keep the option of modular pieces in mind.
    Thanks!