Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First go at baking for game character, need feedback wip*

diglett
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
diglett polycounter lvl 2
I still have to texture.. So this is my first go at the process of creating a game character and it's a wip* I could use some assistance with baking maps and figuring out  what I'm doing wrong on my bake because the AO map is kinda bad in my opinion. Please share thoughts of any kind to help me prep the best maps I possibly can to then texture in SP2. I'm also having a bit of trouble figuring out why when I paint on certain parts of the model the paint doubles through to the object behind where I am painting, does that make sense? Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How did you export your high poly and low poly models from the original 3D modeling package you're using?
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Those look like raycast errors from your cage being too close to your HP mesh. If you are using a cage, double check to make sure it is not penetrating your high poly, if you are not baking with a cage then try increasing the raycast distance in your baking tool.
  • dlinzp
    Offline / Send Message
    dlinzp polycounter lvl 3
    you can name your HP meshes and LP correctly. after that choose "Match by mesh name".  Name matching allow to filter the bakers to avoid mesh detection other than with specific meshes. 

Example :

• body_low matches with body_high
    • head_low matches with head_high
  • diglett
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your feedback guys. Brian "Panda" Choi said:
    How did you export your high poly and low poly models from the original 3D modeling package you're using?
    OBJ exporter from 3ds max on both hi and lo

Those look like raycast errors from your cage being too close to your HP mesh. If you are using a cage, double check to make sure it is not penetrating your high poly, if you are not baking with a cage then try increasing the raycast distance in your baking tool.
    Okay thanks I'm using xnormal for baking, but also tried out the baking in substance painter.. I'll try to find out where I can increase raycast distance in xnormal 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    another thing you can do in substance, is you can make sure it bakes only by mesh names... otherwise it will do two bakes, one by mesh name, and then the entire mesh together, and combine them.
  • diglett
    Offline / Send Message
    another thing you can do in substance, is you can make sure it bakes only by mesh names... otherwise it will do two bakes, one by mesh name, and then the entire mesh together, and combine them.
    I'll have to look into that, thanks