Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Community Game Project.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
It was suggested to me to re-post this post here, so here it is in duplicate.

So, the other day, I was looking at the long lists of Polycount people looking for fellow Polycounters under jobs and freelance, and thought: it could be a really cool idea if there was something like a community game project.  It could be something simple, or something grand; it could be anything.

What immediately pops in my mind is a certain amount of people - knowledgeable people, and people learning, going together to create a game as representative of the forum (Polycount) and for it to get Greenlit, and go the whole way.  It could be anything - a platformer, a shoot-em-up, a fighting game, horror game - anything.
  For instance: it could be put to a vote - different categories.  There would then be a few 'deciding minds' who would be in charge, and so forth.

If you think about it: there are a lot of people looking, and a lot of people looking to learn, and there would already be every possible category represented on here - 3D artists - high and low poly, lighting people, animators, musicians, concept artists, UI artists, and it could in theory be very powerful - and very interesting.  It could be quite a group.
  I know that something like programmers are missing as a sole profession, however, I also know that there are many multi-skilled people on here as well.  Also - for instance: sound people.  I don't believe this forum consists of one-trick-ponies.

I realize there would be logistical problems, but really not more than any other game project.
  As for the size of it, then it should be a bit of a tour de force - because why not?

There's a lot that could be going on with it.  It would create a buzz, for the people involved, and the website, and there would through it all be a very good base to get the game going, through its followers, and people interested.

Naturally I haven't thought through every aspect of this idea.  I know a hundred roadblocks could be erected as to why not.  But, as an idea, I think it could be something, so I thought of airing it.

Henrik