Home Technical Talk

Selling Assets .Questions

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Cos_Dim polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys! I'm new here so if this isn't the right place for the question I apologize.

I'm thinking of getting into the Game Asset market by making some good quality, "dirt cheap" asset packs.
Does anyone have any experience here with PayPal? Because I've heard some nasty stuff!
Also, can you share some pointers as to what people actually look for in these assets?
Should I aim for the best quality in terms of polycount and resolution and expect the buyer to downscale on their own? Or should I release a couple of different versions (Low and High)?
If I'm goint to be selling in Unity and Unreal, will I have to be making modifications for each engine's quirks?
I'm familiar with UE4 but not Unity.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    If your going for Unity and Unreal then you MUST adhere to and cater for both engines. As for paypal I just stopped using them last week because of their nonsense.
    A finished product is key if it's modular for instance and if your adding the high poly mesh's then you should not be selling "dirt cheap" imo also material setups are different in both engines and here you really want to be flexible for example the end user can change texture colors via the material setup that you should supply. The best thing to do is look at the more popular assets on both Unity & Unreal and buy them, you'll see soon enough why they are popular.

Make sure to ask on both Unity and Unreal forms for advice from people selling assets.

Below should give you an idea of what to aim for:
    https://publish.unrealengine.com/submission-guidelines     

Unity I think has a similar guideline page

Good luck  

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I have some stuff up for sale on the Unity store.  Any revenue you make is initially held by Unity and you have a few options for when and how to receive payment.  Direct deposit, checks, and PayPal are all options.  I use PayPal and have had no problems.  For the asset packs themselves, you can adjust the price of your asset packs at any time.

You'll want to balance your price with the convenience of your asset packs.  Generally, the more things you have completed in your pack, the better your chances of making a sale.  For instance, a textured prop might not sell as well as a textured prop that also has LODs, collision, a rig set up for it, and comes with source files (PSD, SPP, SBS, etc.).  Bundles are pretty popular, as they tend to provide high versatility and reusability at an affordable price.

I used to have a few asset packs of the same style split into smaller bundles (weapons, architecture, food, etc.) and none of them sold very well.  Eventually I put them all into one big bundle and raised the price slightly and sales picked up.  It's hard to say what people look at when deciding to make a purchase but I would imagine it has something to do with bang for the buck, urgency, and how common an asset is on the store.  A good frame of reference would be to just ask  yourself what you would look for in an asset pack if you needed to make a purchase for a project.

Unity also supports analytics so you can set that up through Google Analytics to keep track of how many hits you are getting and from where.

I haven't messed with the Unreal store for a while but I tried at one point to put a few free items up and I was rejected for not having enough items in an asset pack (this rule may have changed since then).  Unity doesn't have this restriction and you can publish asset packs to the asset store containing any number of items.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The Unreal marketplace has an extensive set of guidelines that explains everything you need to do to sell assets, from rigged characters to modular environments, and everything in between.
  • Cos_Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Cos_Dim polycounter lvl 2
    Many thanks guys! This has been helpful:)
  • Necrophob30
    Offline / Send Message
    Necrophob30 polycounter lvl 10
    Bartalon said:
    I have some stuff up for sale on the Unity store.  Any revenue you make is initially held by Unity and you have a few options for when and how to receive payment.  Direct deposit, checks, and PayPal are all options.  I use PayPal and have had no problems.  For the asset packs themselves, you can adjust the price of your asset packs at any time.

You'll want to balance your price with the convenience of your asset packs.  Generally, the more things you have completed in your pack, the better your chances of making a sale.  For instance, a textured prop might not sell as well as a textured prop that also has LODs, collision, a rig set up for it, and comes with source files (PSD, SPP, SBS, etc.).  Bundles are pretty popular, as they tend to provide high versatility and reusability at an affordable price.

I used to have a few asset packs of the same style split into smaller bundles (weapons, architecture, food, etc.) and none of them sold very well.  Eventually I put them all into one big bundle and raised the price slightly and sales picked up.  It's hard to say what people look at when deciding to make a purchase but I would imagine it has something to do with bang for the buck, urgency, and how common an asset is on the store.  A good frame of reference would be to just ask  yourself what you would look for in an asset pack if you needed to make a purchase for a project.

Unity also supports analytics so you can set that up through Google Analytics to keep track of how many hits you are getting and from where.

I haven't messed with the Unreal store for a while but I tried at one point to put a few free items up and I was rejected for not having enough items in an asset pack (this rule may have changed since then).  Unity doesn't have this restriction and you can publish asset packs to the asset store containing any number of items.
    UE4 Marketplace doesn't accept free asset packs for some reason.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Bartalon said:

UE4 Marketplace doesn't accept free asset packs for some reason.
    Technically, free assets undermine the market by devaluing paid assets. Although being able to choose whatever price you want poses a similar issue, and Unity seems to be doing fine with free assets available.