Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

My character design

brushxo
vertex
Offline / Send Message
brushxo vertex
Anyone want to critique it? From rendering to lineart to background story, etc? He is a scifi type of character who plays what is his universes version of football. 

Can read more into the description on my deviantart page.

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    remind me of dragonball z :)
    I would maybe spend some time on the background, a plain gray surface is kind of boring. just adding a basic color to the background could help, maybe grass he could be standing on?

Its great that you have a backstory for him, try to convey that in the character design! it should be 100% clear hes playing sports by just glazing at him. right now there is just a tiny logo on his chest, I didn even noticeit  was sports related until I actually looked at it.
    his armor could just as well be some sort of combat suit. there are tons of stuff you could ad to convey the sport feel, like a player number, and maybe sponsors logos to name a few.
  • brushxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brushxo vertex
    Well, one of the first characters I ever drew was Goku so I guess thats not surprising XD. 

Could you be more specific? Not sure what you mean when you say "basic color". I knew it was something I was forgetting (the NUMBERS >_>) lol. If I do another sports themed character I'll certainly remember those tips you pointed out. Anyways thanks for the critique on it :D

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I litterary mean that your background is grayscale, just a slight tint of a complimentary color can ad a lot.
    Examples:
    slight brown background - helps ground the character to the color palette.
    Nice subtle gradient with a tint of green
    This one has some warm yellows near the character and some cooler darker blus in the background.

on top of that I dont think you should just leave it as it is and say "il remeber this the next time". Its not like you have to remake it from scratch. to push a piece that extra 10% is really what makes you one a better artist.

:)
  • Aaron Barnett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaron Barnett vertex
    Yeah, that Dragon Ball influence shows through in the characters anatomy and hair.

This character has potential but is just missing a couple things. I would try to further convey the sports connection through clearer visual representation. The NFL logo is hard to find and gets muddled in the chest peices. And as Lotet pointed out, numbers would go a long way here in communicating to the viewer that he belongs to a team.

Other than that I'd focus on color and rendering. He feels a bit flat. Try messing with some different color combinations and see what you come up withere. Then maybe play around with some more highlights, especially around the pants because they seem flat compared to the rest of the character. 

Cheers!