Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Johan hex project wip critiques

Sarsky
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sarsky vertex

this is my current progress, i thoguh on my art station i finsihed it but realized that it was so bad and i needed to carry on and improve the over all model, i would really lvoe any critiques or any advice or doing a beter job.

the poly's is currently 57k and i plan on posing him someday and doing a proper scene render and etc.

this is my first ever creative project so please be brutal ina  constructive way instead of saying its crap or ia m crap and etc...

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Need close up of the face.

Regarding the lumpiness of the clothes, is what we DON'T want, do you understand the terms "anchor point" or "flow of folds" when it comes wrinkles and folds, by any chance?  Just so we can know what you're thinking atm.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    sure i will do a close up of the face, sorry about that, but no... i don't know how to do clothes, i was just playting about with layers and experimenting using reference from comics and also reference from 3dsk.

• Sarsky
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hat is lumpy.  I recommend modeling it as a subdivision model, but make it clean and not lumpy.  Leather hats rarely get that lumpy in real life.  Same critique goes for the clothes; they're generally looking lumpy.  Really observe how leather coats and clothing folds in on itself, reacts to gravity, how folds wrap around the human form.

The bottom book has really helped me understand how to break down the types of folds I should expect from most clothing to help with realism.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Wrinkles-Drapery-Solutions-Practical/dp/B00BQ23IGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471737515&sr=8-2&keywords=dynamic+wrinkles+and+drapery

Are you plannning to to the hair as contiguous geometry or hair card alpha planes?  If the former, get the hair separated out into separate masses, insted of one lumpy mesh if you can help it.

Can you rerender the head in a less blasted out material?  The whiteness invalidates form-creating shadows, makes it hard to see.

What reference are you using for the facial damage?

• Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    Brian "Panda" Choi

yeah i definitely need to research into clothing and folds, thanks for the link and book recommendation i will gladly buy it sometime, i love burne hogarth's work i have some of his other pdf stuff like drawing the head and the figure. he is an amazing artist i really want to get a lot fo his books hand held since i don't like reading from the computer.

what i can do is, is probably go back to a lower layer and just delete the higher sub division and then just redo the clothing.

i have done research on YouTube and vimeo but couldn't find anything good on explaining folds and the theory behind it. but tbh youtube is rubbish for proper tuts so i might see if digital tutors or uartsy has something for sculpting techniques.

as for the hair, i don't have experience doing hair that much, other then doing it for my scott eaton course and trying to capture the shape and flow from the comic reference.

i mainly relied on comic reference for detailing after i captured the form and detail i wanted out fo anatomy reference/facial reference.

i used clint eastwoods face for inspiration of the main base of the face and i used comic reference for the disfigurement mainly then looked at burn marks online and tried using spotlight on a layer to create a scarred burn like mark.

i haven’t really got to experience details like pores on the face, facial hair etc etc, i think that is something i really need to learn as well.