Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Problems exporting materials to Dota 2

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ilore null
Hi!

Recently, I adquired "Quixel Suite 2" in order to create textures for Dota 2.

When I am working with 3DO, I see the materials correctly, but when I export them and I upload the maps (Quixel creates 4 maps, for the Source 1 engine) into Dota 2 or Marmoset toolbag 2, the result is terrible:

The lights do not appear in the mesh, it is like the mask 1 and/or 2 were wrong exported and only appears the albedo map (  _color map in Source 1 engine).

I don´t know what is happening... :(

Someone else has the same problem?

Replies

• Traggey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Traggey polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there Ilore! I'm Linus with the Quixel support team.

So the reason things are looking weird for you inside of DOTA is that 3DO does not have a DOTA rendering mode, instead we use standard PBR as you would see in most other engines. There have been some internal talk about adding a DOTA 2 shader to the suite, but we have no confirmation on that as of yet.

So basically, do not trust what you see inside of 3DO when it comes to making DOTA assets, infact I wouldn't even use 3DO unless you're doing some handpainting using it.

Instead read up on the DOTA 2 artguide and learn how all the different textures need to be set up to function correctly inside of source, make sure to frequently use the in-game importer to test your textures so that they look accurate inside the shader.
    If you find having to import into DOTA to preview your textures annoying I know that Marmoset toolbag has a built in dota shader, there is also a dota shader released for unity which you could try out.

Hope this has helped you somewhat! Best of luck with your project.
    If you have any more questions you can check out our Live support group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/QuixelLiveSupport/