Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - SCAR-H [need help]

Cazure
null
Offline / Send Message
Cazure null
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a 3D model of a SCAR-H. And things are going OK, but I'm getting stuck on certain parts of the model. I was wondering if there is anyone that maybe wants to take a look at the model and maybe tell me how I can approach certain things better. Most of the techniques I've learned via the YouTube tutorials of Arrimus 3D.

I'm still learning a lot on 3D modeling and if anyone has certain tips/critques or anything to say about the model or my topology or what ever, please tell them. I'm not learning much about this at school and I'm eager to improve.

Here are some WIP pictures.

Replies

• gametime
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    Arrismus is an incredible guy & so is his channel. So you do good, if you stick with his tuts. 

Since you didn't specify anything particular, all I can say is that you need tons of references. I'm not exaggerating. I would say that 60% of the time I spend on a gun is finding references & adjusting my model accordingly. Bc the base shape is done quickly, but the quirks & details take time. 

One tip I can give you is to start with either the Barrel or the picatinny rail. Reason being, this gives you the right size. Especially the barrel, since it's round, so the 2d image actually gives you the 3d info. Which is important, since a lot of guns are too wide or too flat, while the rest of the topology appears okay. 
    The rail is just a good reference, since it's one of the few things (on a gun) that has good blueprints, therefore you will get it 99% accurate. 

Once you got the scaling, you can do the rest of the blockout (which I advice) or go directly to the next step. For the me, that's parts. Focusing on one thing makes it easier. 

Depending on what you want it for workflow differs. Meaning if its only low poly or only High poly or if you want a hp & later a lp for games. 
    Therefore, I can't really comment on your topology, but in any case, the pistol grip & lower receiver will give you issues. The topology is too uneven. 

cheers
  • Cazure
    Offline / Send Message
    Cazure null
    gametime said:
    Arrismus is an incredible guy & so is his channel. So you do good, if you stick with his tuts. 

Since you didn't specify anything particular, all I can say is that you need tons of references. I'm not exaggerating. I would say that 60% of the time I spend on a gun is finding references & adjusting my model accordingly. Bc the base shape is done quickly, but the quirks & details take time. 

One tip I can give you is to start with either the Barrel or the picatinny rail. Reason being, this gives you the right size. Especially the barrel, since it's round, so the 2d image actually gives you the 3d info. Which is important, since a lot of guns are too wide or too flat, while the rest of the topology appears okay. 
    The rail is just a good reference, since it's one of the few things (on a gun) that has good blueprints, therefore you will get it 99% accurate. 

Once you got the scaling, you can do the rest of the blockout (which I advice) or go directly to the next step. For the me, that's parts. Focusing on one thing makes it easier. 

Depending on what you want it for workflow differs. Meaning if its only low poly or only High poly or if you want a hp & later a lp for games. 
    Therefore, I can't really comment on your topology, but in any case, the pistol grip & lower receiver will give you issues. The topology is too uneven. 

cheers
    Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it. 

Sorry for not being really specific. I want to make the model for my portfolio, because modeling isn't really represented there. And I want to dive more into modeling for animations. It's meant as a high poly object what I will later on texture in Quixel SUITE. Maybe make a normal map so it is far less demanding for the computer while animating/rendering it.

I'll now start working on the barrel of the gun and fix the topology in the lower receiver and the pistol grip. Then I'll continue to the picatinny rail(s).
    I'll also start looking for more reference on the internet of certain (more detailed) parts (e.g. the buttstock hinge). I will make the adjustments right after I've posted this topic.

~EDIT~
    I've made some adjustments to the lower receiver and the pistolgrip. To be honest, I don't really know how to fix this problem, but I remembered that Arrimus said that it was important that the polygons are all (around) the same size. So I made some extra cuts to split the really large polygons in some smaller parts. And on the pistolgrip I respaced the edges so that they aren't so close to each other. 
    Results