Home Royalties or Post-Launch Compensation Work

[PAID via Kickstarter Campaign] - Story-driven RPG Actively Seeking 3D Generalist

amanfr01
null
Offline / Send Message
amanfr01 null
Hello, Polycount!

Myself (composer), Gerhard Botha (software engineer/programmer), Lee Williams (writer), and Peter Hurman (concept artist) are creating a new discovery-centric, story-driven RPG. Thematically, we're aiming to create a world with a Nordic flair without deriving any source material. In other words, highly original with loose inspiration from Norse mythology.

"What's the gist of the game?"

We want to create an open-world, story-driven RPG with an emphasis on exploration. That being said, we're not aiming to have fully fleshed-out 3D cutscenes like The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed. In fact, we're planning on making the main story cutscenes 2D, similar to the Banner Saga or some cutscenes in Guild Wars 2. As a 3D Modeler, we hope to have someone who wants to be deeply involved in the game making process. That is to say, we are not looking for someone to make models and say "good-bye" to the whole development process. We want someone who is foremost an artists with good technical knowledge of tools of the trade, not the other way around. The game itself is in its very early stages, and we hope to find a core member who is passionate to run with us through the entire course of the project, establishing the scope of the project through its story. 

For early tech demos, please visit Gerhard's original post on the game here at this link. They are stock assets, but give a basic feel of what we'd like to accomplish, stylistically.

"What do I send you / What are my requirements?"

Firstly, we will ask for a portfolio. Nothing custom made needs to be made for this application process. Secondly, Gerhard (our software engineer / programmer) provided me with a brief list of requirements. They are the following:

· 3D Modelling and texturing of assets based on concept drawings (strong ability to generate assets with a high level of likeness to original concept art)

· Understanding of how models/assets relate to the runtime environment of a game engine.

· Must be familiar with the concepts relating to that of a game engine content pipeline.

· Experience with software like ZBrush, Photoshop, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Blender etc.

· Thorough understanding of high to low poly modelling process as well as generating normal maps and displacement maps from the high-poly asset version (to be applied to the low poly asset version)

· Must possess great skill and knowledge when it comes to UVW coordinate mapping and optimised texture usage (concepts like texture atlasing, texture duplication avoidance, understand how textures will affect GPU bandwidth etc.)

· Good knowledge of model rigging and animation (This is an absolute must have).

"Who do I contact?"

Me! My email is contact@manfredoniamusic.com. Private messages on here work, as well. Or even direct messages to my twitter.

I look forward to speak to everyone interested! Have a good rest of your day :)

Best wishes,
Tony

Replies

• ZelenHimihal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZelenHimihal polycounter lvl 5
    Hello there, can you let me know, for how long will you be reviewing candidates?I want to apply and I am preparing a new fantasy character which i wish to showcase in my portfolio before messaging you and I need about 2 days to do that, will you still be reviewing by then or should I apply now with what I have?

Thanks!
    Ivailo
  • amanfr01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amanfr01 null
    Hey there, @ZelenHimihal!

We'll still be reviewing applicants, so no worries. I encourage you to apply with your new fantasy character, as well! Definitely send me an email once that's complete :)

I simply want to state to you and to everyone that the response has been massive. That being said, I will not be able to reply to everyone individually. To all applicants so far, we thank you for the enthusiasm. I apologize in advance if you don't hear from me directly, but with 20+ emails so far, there's a ton to review.

Stay tuned to hear back from me!

Best wishes,
    Tony
  • amanfr01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amanfr01 null
    Hello, applicants!

Due to my own mistake of posting this in the improper forum, I've received a ton of messages declining the motive to work via post-campaign funding. I simply want to clear the water!

If it's possible, for those interested in the following, please send me another email just clarifying you're okay with this type of project timeline:

This project would be paid via Kickstarter. We're looking for a dedicated individual who would be part of a team and would be comfortable with Kickstarter funding as payment. Our team, for example, all have work that will pay the bills and put food on our tables. We are very excited and passionate about this project, but not dependent on its funding. The funding budget, however, will be significant and fair for all members. It'd be highly unfair to ask of you to work far beyond the Kickstarter campaign due to no funding upfront.

We'd like someone there working with us and making decisions with us as a cohesive unit! Our goal is to have a solidified team of leaders in our respective departments (music, modeling, etc.). That way, there's a solid amount of communication going on between all members of the team. This would entail being able to talk on Skype (no video necessary). 

Regarding the Kickstarter itself, we wouldn't put too much of a burden on you prior to the funding/campaign of Kickstarter. For example, we will not ask you to make 100 models before we even start the campaign. Our first step is working toward promotion and a successful Kickstarter. After that is when the larger-scale work will begin. The same applies to me for the music, Peter for the art, etc.

If you're still interested in something like this, please shoot me another email (even if you just send the same one), and I'll respond accordingly.

I wasn't able to respond to everyone, simply due to the amount of applicants we've received. That being said, send a second one based upon the funding guidelines above, and I'll be happy to respond!

Best wishes,
    Tony