Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - transfigured

The Muse in the Machine

I'm excited that Reallusion has presented this opportunity for the community to learn from each other, grow as artists, & bring some great characters to life! I have realized as a creative being that I need boundaries, directives, and to set intentions to ever get anything from imagination to materialized form (so I appreciate the contest facilitating this:). As a start I would like to set some intentions on three different levels: 1) personal | experiential  2) creative | conceptual, &  3) workflow | skill-building.

My personal | experiential intentions

-To have fun

-To enjoy experiencing other artist's intention, vision, & creative process

-To trust the creative process to unfold in ways I can't predict & enjoy the flow and ride

My creative | conceptual intentions 

-The Muse character I am envisioning is a beautiful mystical / stellar female form. As we witness the birth of VR into wider public consciousness the themes of AI and transhumanism are also emerging on a larger scale. I would like to explore & animate the dance between the organic and inorganic, exploring the possibility of soul in the structure, beauty in the binary. I envision her form birthing from abstract fractal shapes into a self aware archetype of feminine creative force.

-My final goal is a  animation of Fibonacci shell fractal / mandelbulb 3D shape morphed into beautiful mystical female stellar form as well as a version for viewing in Sketchfab VR 

My workflow | skill-building intentions:

I'm excited to test out Character Creator & Iclone in the pipeline, seeing how they can enhance and speed up the creative process

Character Creator

-optimized basemesh for easier posing & animation (UVs, rigged, topology)

-hair, clothing, accessory options

Iclone

-ease of bringing in assets

-animation & rendering possibilities

-Explore Mixamo auto rigger

-Explore Mandelbulb 3D for fractal geometry export workflow to Zbrush for additional sculpting

-Explore interplay of organic & hard surface

-I have a Rift and want test out VR / Sketchfab possibilities

As a first step I am currently studying Tanvir Islam's great Warrior Creation series to get an initial sense of how to incorporate Reallusion's tools into your workflow. 

Replies

• transfigured
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The initial search for conceptual inspiration & creation of a mood board is an exciting step in the process of bringing the character to life. 
    It allows for surveying all the great work from the past to serve as inspiration and getting the creative blood to start flowing through your veins.
    I can start thinking about form, shape, value, gesture, pose, lighting, framing, color palette, etc. From distilling all these impressions I will create character driven thumbnails & narrow down relevant reference.