Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deadlocked Prime - 3D Pixel art FPS - Devlog

Replies

• Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    I can't say I like to show rough sketches on the internet.

But here are some enemy concepts I have in mind!  
    I plan to reskin the ghoul character by adding props.

I plan to do the same for the mech and insect characters. 
    I won't say that all the enemies will be in the game, they are mostly ideas.

I should look into outside environments
  • PolyCutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyCutter null
    I dig!

Where can I participate in game jams!? I need to get some XP. :)
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyCutter

Well there are pretty much millions of them at http://jams.gamejolt.com/ and at https://itch.io/jams. Look at itch.io sceduele, its insane!

Ludum dare have a game jam every once in a while http://ludumdare.com/compo/

But I guess the best "experience-gaining" comes from the real-world location events such as Global Game Jam!
  • PolyCutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyCutter null
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This thread is bitchin'
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @pixelpatron  ! :)

I think I won't be approaching a outside environment. I am sure I can push the inside environments eye-candy-wise, but still be able to push them out fast.

Just a screen grab from a level I made

Need to continue those character concepts/ start modelling the props. Also fix rest of the pickups
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DevilBlackDeath polycounter lvl 9
    Boy ! I was only looking for a source of inspiration with 3D pixel graphics, and I come across a game I'm looking forward to =O Looks amazing. Love all of it. Can't wait to play it, and I think I'll give the jam version a go ^^

Oh btw, about that rock issue, I think he best way to deal with it I've seen so far (I'm a lot in 3D pixel-textured games) is to align the lines of your mesh with a row of pixel. It will get the pixels slightly distorted (they won't be perfect square anymore), but the eye copes much better with slightly distorted squares (especially in a 3D world where you're almost never aligned with an imperfect item like a rock) than it does with pixels cut by another color (it breaks the continuity, and that's why it looks like it's not copping with pixel art ;) ). That may require remeshing a bit to not distort the pixels too much, but theoretically it shouldn't too much.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't updated this in a while but I have been busy doing all sorts of stuff.

But I also had to fix up a FX reel and soon after that my friend(Bastian) asked if I would like to take a look at unreal's FX (Cascade) so I took a little detour and helped with out some FX which I can have in my portfolio to showcase a little unreal engine understanding.
    Wip:

(game is called: Ayablaze) gif starts bugging out when it turns all green)
    I will still look if I can push this before I am done.

@DevilBlackDeath
    Thank you!
     I think I understand what you mean about the rocks but If possible, would you like to show a picture how you would want it to be, it would be much appreciated and it would clarify for me! :)
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Christian Nordgren
    Sure thing :wink: I'll try to mesh a little something tomorrow to show that or maybe tonight after work (french time). I'll upload that as soon as it's done :smile:
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Christian NordgrenSo, a bit late 'bout that xD Lots of movement and I couldn't find the time to do it, but finally I could do it during the Christmas to New Year break :tongue:

So that's what I came up with http://uplea.com/dl/4C2450512859ADF
    That's the blend file with a packed checkerboard 100x100 pixel texture, that you can use as a basis. But the goal was mostly to show how I wrapped it. Pretty much I marked the UV seams like a cube and unwrapped it. Then I placed the corners of my seams at pixel perfect corners on the textures. Then I placed the vertices along the seams so as to make an edge following the pixel line. Finally I played around with both UVs and 3D vertices to avoid distortion at best. It's still pretty visible with a checkerboard, but with an actual texture it would look much better obviously.

The good thing with the fact that a rock is organic is that it gives you some freedom in respect to how you can play around with the vertices to avoid distortion ;)

And here's a second edit : http://uplea.com/dl/9E99DDFC593FCC4
    Did a quick (very ugly) paint over just to show how it looks with a texture, and as expected, the distortion is not as ugly as with the checkerboard ;) I think if you take the time to do an actual paint over with a tablet and pen then refine the pixels in Gimp, Krita, Aseprite or whatever you use so as to give it a more pixel arty look, this would do the job just fine ^^
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    Is this project still going on? I just recently started to follow it. I came across it in google images when I was using a similar style of lowpoly 3D pixel graphics for one of my projects. This game of course seems to be much more nice looking than mine. Are we going to see this game released in 2017, a demo version of it, or a new Youtube video of this game? 
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the extreme delay and lack of response.

I have been busy changing workplace, career path and my work partner (khreator) has also been busy in similar circumstances.

@DevilBlackDeath
    I looked into the files when they were reachable, I can't remember the actual files but I remember I was going to respond that I have been working in a similiar fashion, sorry for the delay

@kasigawa
    Honestly, I have not worked on this because I have been busy approaching the reasons above. Deadlocked has a is a very exciting artstyle and shows a lot of promise but requires a lot of effort at the moment that I can't spare at this moment.
    I think this has been a extremely good learning experience and I think I will continue with this but in another form or project(?)

Good luck with your project, I hope I get to see your progress, I love to give feedback or comment if wanted.

Personally I would not entirely close this thread because khreator has mentioned that he is still testing things tech things, you never know what might happen in the future.

• DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn yes, I forgot Uploea got closed =/ Well if you got a chance to take a look at it good ! If you need me to reupload them I think I still got the files ;)

@kasigawa
    Ahah :P Exactly the reason I came across the project in the first place too ! I'm working on an unity plugin right now so I'm still investigating almost on a daily basis all the pixel texture and voxel styles to decide what I'll use when comes the moment I'll start working on my game !

@Christian Nordgren
    Kinda sad to see the project dying/going on hiatus for now but well I'll still follow what you do ;) Do you have a twitter account by any chance ? I happen to follow the work of many indie devs there, and I'd like you to be one of those.
  • dmi3iy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmi3iy polycounter lvl 3
    @Christian Nordgren  Any chance to play demo or buy full version of your game?
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    Sorry we have not worked on the game at all since last year.

I will certainly at sometime make a similar game with same artstyle or so in the future.

But at the moment I am working on other stuff!
    Hopefully I will return to this sooner than later
  • luxregina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luxregina polycounter lvl 5
    I know the topic is a bit old, but I also came across those images as I was developing my own pixel art shooter - mine looks a bit different, but I have to say that I love what you have done so far!

Here's a quick video of my prototype

and I have some blog posts/breakdowns here for those interested. I've just finished the VR version for Oculus Go, and I am currently working on a better looking PC version (hopefully on Steam soon)

• TaZz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi , is this project dead ? :/