Home General Discussion

3D/art thoughts translating to real life related brainfarts

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
L0ckeness polycounter lvl 5
I feel like there are times that digital artists can get so immersed in software packages that the concepts and tools in them start to leak over into your real life in silly ways.

For example:

Sometimes while shaving in the shower I'll catch myself focusing only on one side of my face, thinking I have X symmetry activated. Of course there's the fast thought to undo something when making a mistake during drawing or writing on paper...

Have you guys ever had anything like this happen to you?

Replies

• Rafael_Vieira
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafael_Vieira polycounter lvl 8
    Sometimes I'm just browsing photo websites like The Big Picture and when I'm really into some photo I catch myself trying to rotate to see in different angles as it was a 3d model.
    L0ckeness said:
    Sometimes while shaving in the shower I'll catch myself focusing only on one side of my face, thinking I have X symmetry activated.
    Huh... And I thought I was the only one, sometimes I even do this while cooking, specially after a long day modelling.
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Haha, totally. Symmetry and undo are definitely the big ones.

But also, I've been learning woodworking for a few months, and the grain of the wood is such a hindrance sometimes, while trying to get smooth forms, and I get annoyed I don't just have a "smooth" brush, or a polish brush, haha. But, having a physical medium has countless positives as well, so it does go both ways.

Another thing would be painting in real life; I always get annoyed I have to mix paints to get a color, instead of just color-picking or using a color wheel...
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Everything should have a g-button to instantly repeat the last action. Like doing dishes.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    When you walk past people (read: pretty girls that catch your eyes), you start studying her topology and wireframe...........
    Wait a minute.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    When you walk past people (read: pretty girls that catch your eyes), you start studying her topology and wireframe...
    What the hell...wireframe ? why ? :p

You know, those artists who go take a beer and start to talk about how much polygons the table would have as a game prop.
    This ! Or looking at that sexy brick wall and just thinking about how you would make all the bird poop procedural in substance designer.
  • Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    When i look at any detail in something, i sometimes think: "I can do that with only a normal map".
  • Thessera
    Offline / Send Message
    Thessera vertex
    It has changed how i look at games,movies lol xD
  • L0ckeness
    Offline / Send Message
    L0ckeness polycounter lvl 5
    Tidal Blast- Yeah, thats a great point about how digital art, or just art in general changes the way you look at things. During some talk/tutorial by Dice Tsutsumi, I recall him mentioning he had a friend who told him, when I'm looking at things everyday, I'm mentally painting them. That really impacted me. Thinking about color, value, economic brushstrokes, contours, design, composition, all the time, every second is a new painting to study. My friends probably just think I'm spacing out...
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the whole "analyse the real world" symtom is really a pain sometimes, you can't just enjoy what you looking at, as you are just breaking it down into how it's built, have it could be recreated in 3D ect. Had that often when I worked a lot, those darn wireframes.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I always look at dilapidated and worn things as looking much better than they would outside of the box. I'm always thinking about how I'd texture these things in substance, what generators I'd use, how I'd mask all this stuff, etc; I always think that what some people would consider 'shitty' or 'crappy' cars to be much more interesting to look at because they're so much more detailed lol.
  • krraej
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    I've done the whole trying to press CTRL + Z to undo a mistake IRL a couple of times, but my biggest brainfart was probably that one time I tried to lower the volume of my parakeets by turning down the dial on my speakers...
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 12
    I think a lot about loop edge flow of objects near me in real life when my mind wanders 
  • Drocho
    Offline / Send Message
    Drocho polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah, I'm always seeing edge loops and normal maps on things in real life.