Home Adobe Substance

Maya to substance to unreal low-poly workflow?

Brandon_L
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Brandon_L polycounter lvl 2

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Go to Alllegorithmic YT channel. There are tons of tuts. There's even a complete workflow series Maya-SP-UE4 which takes you through all the steps.
  • Brandon_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I done some there tuts. But what I was asking is if their is a clean way to bake low poly models only and not have to bake high to low for everything.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baking a normal map from 2 identical meshes (low+low) = 0 data in the map.

The whole point of baking a normal map is to capture high fidelity details from a high poly mesh.

You can, however, bake curvature (set to per vertex) and AO maps as they are geometry based. With these maps you can utilise masking generators. Another workflow if you don't want to create a high poly is to create a mid poly mesh and model the edge beveling directly to the mesh, and add surface normal detail in SP.

Note that a per vertex curvature map is entirely based on geometry so baking from a mesh with 90 corners will not give good results. 
  • Brandon_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan So if I would bake a low poly mesh with the per vertex on. I would bake a World space, AO, Curv, Position, Thickness only correct? I think I just need a mentor lol. I've hit a road block.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, all maps except the NM. Just keep studying and practicing, mate. It'll all come together eventually. 
  • Brandon_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I you're right. It's just sometimes I don't want all that detail for a simple object. Trying to figure this stuff out can be complicated XD