Home Technical Talk

Which has greater potential, DAZ or Character Creator?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
AdventDestiny polycounter lvl 2
This is a question that I have to seriously consider, mainly because I have hopes to one day become a professional creature and character designer, maybe even an animator if time allows. But since I'm starting from scratch, I need to find some tools to make my creative career just a little bit easier. One big tool I'm looking for is a means of quickly creating a base human character, which I can then export into another program [Blender, ZBrush, etc.] to modify, enhance, and ultimately animate.

I already have DAZ 3D [it is free, after all], but I can already tell that with just the default options available its ability to realize an original character is limited, requiring multiple purchases to get all the tools and options I feel will be needed. Then I look at iClone 6's Character Creator, which appears [haven't actually had a chance to try it yet] to be much more well structured with character design, but to get what I actually need, I'll need to effectively spend over $800 [half of which will just be for the 3DExchance program needed to be able to export models in and out of iClone 6].

So the ultimate question is, in the long run which would be a better investment, whatever amount of micro-transactions for DAZ 3D, or a all in one payment of over $800 for iClone 6?

Replies

• Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I have hopes to one day become a professional creature and character designer
    I would just stick with zbrush + blender(or whatever other suite) and study anatomy If you want to become a professional character & creature designer. And since you've got moneh to spend I hear Scott Eaton's anatomy courses are good.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    To be honest, most character artists in the industry will frown upon the use of programs like Daz.  If you want to be a professional character artist, make everything from scratch, learn proportion and anatomy rock solid on your own.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

So the ultimate question is, in the long run which would be a better investment
    Creating characters from scratch, learning human/cloth anatomy, learning the full workflow/pipeline, sculpting as much as you can, and then studying some more anatomy.

Seriously, if you're intent on becoming a character artist then forget about Daz, or what you might think are shortcuts. There are no shortcuts. Hard work is your best investment. 
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8

Yes there is no way around learning anatomy (sculpting, life-drawing...), you will need these skills for stylized characters. If you need relieable 3D reference for realistic anatomy and proportions, i would look into 3D scanning, rather than DAZ or Poser, etc.. There are cheap or free models and programs available, for anatomical research you dont need super highrez scans.